93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Cooling fans problems. Surprise, surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Cooling fans problems. Surprise, surprise!

Hey all. I'm having a common problem with my fans. I notice that they will turn on only when the engine gets extremely hot. I had a code logged by it one time and I honestly forgot it. Is there a way to bypass the fans and have them always on, or to set the trip temperature lower by using either a Tech 2 scanner or a Snapon MT2500 scanner? It gets ridicuously hot in traffic and at idle after a short run. Ideas?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:31 AM
Default RE: Cooling fans problems. Surprise, surprise!

lol well my fans run constantly but im trying to fix it

have you tried the 180 degree thermostat? nice easy way to lower it a little

Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 AM
2nd Gear member

No, I sure haven't. How much does that run? And what's the stock thermostat set at?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here, and I'm having the same problem with my car 95 V6 3.4L. I changed the thermostat to 180, and it didn't work. I put on a new radiator cap, 16lbs, and it didn't work, i changed the oil, and the problem seemed to have disappeared, after a couple of hundred miles, it came back.then i changed the oil again, to 5-40, and it made it disapear.... after the following oil change, it came back again... thecoolant tank wouldliterallyvomit out anything that was inside, there was green all over the place... that was after the radiator flush...and when i was putting in salt free water, the problem descended... but it still gets pretty hot... hotter than the normal temperature for that car....does the oil have something to do with it?i would asume so... i mean... i need some help with this too... i live out in the desert.... arizona... yuma to be exact... and it gets mad hot down here... any more ideas before tweaking the fan?? i was thinking of a new radiator

Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: usarmyrangrs

No, I sure haven't. How much does that run? And what's the stock thermostat set at?

its like $6 at my local napa so same for you im sure. the stock is 195 i believe not a massive difference but the car would still be in a good operating temp. I heard there is a 160 'stat out there but not sure who makes it

Old 03-01-2007, 06:54 PM

I have the same problem with my kids 95 v6,no cooling fans,not even the a/c fan.relays are good I took relays out powered and put a meter across the contacts,all checked good.jumped fans out they run strong.There is also power present at the relay plug,apparently the ground signal is missing,where does it come from?,thermostat switch?,computer reading temp?.Does anyone have a wiring diagram?(a good one,not a generic like from a haynes manual).It shouldn`t be that complicated. Mark-Atl

Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear member

I had a diagram at school that I printed off MOTOR AllData, and yeah, even our instructor said that the cooling fan system was a little bizarre for my Camaro. I'll see if I can send the diagram to my home PC tomorrow and then post it here.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks for trying. Mark-atl

Old 03-03-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

There's been a lot of discussion about the cooling fans on these cars, and I mean a LOT. Try doing a search for some good reading.

The fans are controlled by the ECU, the cut in temp can be altered with the proper tool, certain fault codes will cause the fans to run constantly and some AC problems will prevent the fans from working at all.

New Era Preformance (one sponsor of this site) does offer a by pass setup for the cooling fans.

Because of the complex nature of the fan's control circuit, I don't recommend trying a 'hack' fix for the fans control. You could wind up replacing the ECU. ($$$$)

Old 03-03-2007, 10:02 AM

uh... i forgot to state that my problem with my temperature comes and goes.... any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Cooling fans problems. Surprise, surprise!