93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Coolant leak.... Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Coolant leak.... Again

So I have a 94 3.4 L V6 camaro

Good news: my car is not leaking from my water pump anymore.

Bad news: it's leaking somewhere else. I can see it dripping off of my oil pan. Can anyone give me some not terrible news please

Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Overdrive Member

You are gonna love this... It is prolly leaking from the timing chain cover which is behind the water pump. This is pretty common on the 3.4L engines.

Massey

Old 03-28-2011, 04:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
You are gonna love this... It is prolly leaking from the timing chain cover which is behind the water pump. This is pretty common on the 3.4L engines.

Massey

hahaha.... wellllllll then

Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok so I am pretty sure its the timing cover but something weird just happened. As I trying to drive it down the street and back, it started making a knocking sound from my engine. Any ideas?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
2nd Gear member

I guess you didn't see my reply in your other thread!

Originally Posted by mrfreez
Now, you can take or leave my advice, it's up to you. I replaced my water pump last summer too. I found out that my timing cover was also leaking. Once you have removed the water pump it's ony a few more bolts in the timing cover and the crankshaft pulley to remove the timing cover. You'll need a puley puller which is about $20.00 at a local parts store. Change the timing cover gasket at the same time you change the water pump! You'll be happy you did! If you get the car back together and it leaks again then you won't be happy! To change the water steering pump you need to remove your coil packs, rad hoses, and loosen the power steering pump.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ya ya... Lol well would this cause the knocking sound?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Overdrive Member

nope but if you got water in the oil it will cause bearing damage which will cause a knocking sound. What color is your oil?

Dark Brown/ Black is good.

Chocolate milk color is bad.

Massey

Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
nope but if you got water in the oil it will cause bearing damage which will cause a knocking sound. What color is your oil?

Dark Brown/ Black is good.

Chocolate milk color is bad.

Massey
I will let you know tonight or tomorrow if its good news or bad news.... i hate my life if its bad news. Technically it wont be good news, just better news lol

Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So before I go through the process of replacing the timing cover, I need to make for sure thats the problem. So here's what I've done:

1) I checked the oil. the oil is perfect, not milky. Just plain old oil

2) I jacked up my car and apparently it's just leaking from somewhere to be named in a later number and it's just dripping down in numerous ways.

3) I checked the seal around the water pump. Not leaking at all from around it.

Now I found that the leak is coming from behind the water pump, a good inch behind it. Not anywhere near the seal. I can see a puddle of coolant sitting above and behind the pump.

So does this sound like the timing cover? If so, can I get the process of replacing it, after i take of the water pump, because i cant find it in my repair manual. Thanks a lot guys for all of your patience on this

Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Autozone website has a repair guides for jobs like this. You really should pressure test the system it will show all the leaks. Under pressure the coolant will most likely run out in a stream. Timing cover is a lot of work for a motor that has a knock in it. Have you figured the knock out?

Quick Reply: Coolant leak.... Again