93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Check engine light came on my 1995 3.4L Camaro and is hard to accelerate.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Default Check engine light came on my 1995 3.4L Camaro and is hard to accelerate.

I have a new one for you all. Just recently I had a tension pulley snap in half while pulling into my driveway. After replacing the faulty part, I got my routine oil changed done to it. The very next day, I'm taking my sis to class and on the highway, my check engine light comes on the highway and this is where the real fun begins.

After a short drive to the parking lot and listen to the engine while it was in PARK, I noticed that it was ideling rougher than usual. So I cut the power and popped the hood to check my dipsticks and radiator. Everything looked fine and then I heard a dripping sound coming from the car. I know that it wasn't the AC because the sound was distinctively different, and sure enough there was a puddle coming from underneath the car (almost like it was underneath my gear shifter). I tried moving the car over to the next parking space to get a better look at the puddle and my car was reluctant to accelerate unless I gave it more gas than what I normally give it.

When I was getting the oil change, the people said that my transmition fluid was looking very dirty and need to consider having it replaced soon. I had the engine replaced 2,000 miles ago w/rebuilt, tension pulley has been replaced at least twice, spark plugs are replaced and routed correctly, and the oxygen sensors have both been replaced.

My brother says that maybe the oil pan wasn't put on right, I'm thinking it's the transmition... Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

1995 3.4L Camaro (Auto)
164,008 miles total (less than 2,100 on rebuilt motor)

Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Get the car scanned at Autozone or somewhere so that you can get the code from the light.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looking at whatever fluid made the puddle would tell you. If it was golden brown, motor oil. If it was red, automatic trans fluid. If green or orange, coolant. Since you just had the oil changed, it's possible they didn't tighten the oil filter or the drain plug, and you're losing serious oil. Don't drive the car until you find what it is, otherwise you could turn the engine to junk.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Overdrive Member

What kind of fluid puddle? Dip your finger in, note color, consistency, smell etc.

What codes do you have? Get it scanned. Did you replace wires when you did the plugs?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

i have to agreed with Camaro 69 on this...

Old 07-23-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
What kind of fluid puddle? Dip your finger in, note color, consistency, smell etc.

What codes do you have? Get it scanned. Did you replace wires when you did the plugs?
I couldn't get a definite color on the fluid because the parking lot was full of dirt and loose asphalt. But the color that I thought I saw was the fresh oil. And it turns out that the yay-hoos that replaced my oil put in 5W-20. Knowing that, we got the oil changed to 10W-30 and my car is not going to that shop again, plus the leak stopped when we got that oil swapped and the check engine light still comes on.

While we were at my brother's shop, we hooked it up to a scanner and said that my EGR's 3rd solenoid is causing the check engine light on. So tonight, I'm going to take apart the EGR valve and clean the solenoid. I know it's not highly recommended to do so, but one of my brother's friends (that's a master mechanic) told me that if the solenoid is broken or just faulty, it will not hurt the car if I tried cleaning the valve first before I go out and buy a new one.

If you have any other ideas, I'm not going to take it apart until later tonight.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Don't take apart the EGR. I tried fixing the solenoid on mine and put it back together and never worked right afterwards. Plus, in my case the solenoid was seized. You're better off getting a new one for $150.00. I can't see how 5W20 oil will make the car leak oil. If the seal on the oil pan is good then it won't leak no matter what oil you have in there. I'm thinking the gasket around your oil pan is leaking.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Just putting in 5w20 oil is NOT going to make the engine leak a puddle. I'd say the oil place left the filter loose, or maybe ****ed up the gasket so it blew oil out.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 07-24-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Just putting in 5w20 oil is NOT going to make the engine leak a puddle. I'd say the oil place left the filter loose, or maybe ****ed up the gasket so it blew oil out.

I know all about this, it is a blown out filter gasket that led me to buy my Camaro for $500 and then another blown out gasket that has cost me about $700 more for a new engine. Make sure you check it out before you are putting another engine in your car.

Massey

Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey, here's another thought. When changing the oil and filter, I always look at the old filter to make sure the gasket is still attached. I've had it happen more than once where the gasket stuck to the block and didn't come off with the filter. If that gets missed, it's a sure thing that the second gasket is going to blow out on you. It could be easy to overlook, especially at a quick oil change place where they want to set land speed records.