93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Coolant Flush Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Default Coolant Flush Question

I have a 94 Camaro V6 which has been verified by a mechanic as having a blown head gasket. He suggested that we try a gasket sealer prior to repairing it (high cost due to part of engine being under the firewall). I went to drain the coolant from the block and when I got the drain plug out, there appeared to be a plug in there. I have not pulled the knock sensor yet. Does anyone know if I can drain the entire block from the knock sensor? Or is there a beterr way to flush out the block like pulling the thermostat?

Thanks,
Hank

Old 05-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Coolant Flush Question

That should work. That's what the Hayne's manual said anyways.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM

Thanks 02StanGT, I am re-reading my post and realized i asked multiple questions and am not sure to which one the answer applies. Which of the two options would flush the bock the best?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Overdrive Member

I was talking about draining it all through the knock sensor.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Am I going to ruin the engine by considering a gasket sealer as a temporary fix until I can afford a mechanic?

Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Overdrive Member

I've never really heard anything good about any stop leak products. I've readarticles statingthat ifit's possible to plug the leak, what's to stop it from plugging some of the smaller passages. I can't say whether or notit willruin your engine, as I have no idea how bad the head gasket leak is, and I've never use any of that stuff. I personally wouldn't use any. If you do decide to use some, and it works, please don't think it's completely healed and not get it fixed. You sound like you have the right idea about not using it for that long.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:55 AM

Thank you for your opinion. That is a good point how does this stuff know what to plug or not plug up. I hate to have the camaro sit, I hate even worse to ruin it. I am still getting quotes for repairs, I was considering this as a temporary solution, but now I wonder if it will cost more inthe long run.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 AM

The GM service manual states under DRAINING AND FILLING COOLING SYSTEM (V6) to remove the engine knock sensors, located on either side of the engine block.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would give a stop leak a shot first, what do you have to lose?
I have used the powdered/metallic flakes type before with results. I recommend not using that "brown sludge with the pellets" stuff by Bars Leaks.
And as far as it plugging smaller passages...If a head gasket leak is paper thin or less, what passages inside the engine are smaller than that? None! The stop leak works by it accumulating and slowly packing up a leak. If you have a wide gap, such as a gasket being totally blown out, then I wouldn't go expecting a miracle fix with a stop leak.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fix it and be done with it. get yourself some tools, a dealer service manual like planejane has, a buddy and fix it yourself. head gasket cost is not that much, 150 bucks or so for what ull need, 2 or 3 hundred to get the heads done depending on what needs done. its the labor that costs. dont use the stop leak unless u have to.

Quick Reply: Coolant Flush Question