93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Considering a Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Considering a Camaro

I found out when I had the car dynoed. My dynos resemble 347 dynos of people that have 347s with similar mods, Prod50 and 232cobra agreed that it was not a 302 and was deffinitly a 347. A local Mustang tech guru agreed and told me that I don't have a stock cam, which I had already figured, because it doesn't idel like anormal 302. A local shop kind of confirmed all this, and the engine itself confirms this as there are writings in marker, all over the engine, in certain areas, that were used to guid whomever took the engine apart on how to put it back together. I also did a waterpump gasket change three weeks ago, and my car didn't have regular gaskets there, it was a half *** job by the person that reassembled the engine.

In any since, it doesn't really matter, I have plans for a new 347 prebuilt and balanced motor from haney motorsports as I just don't trust the internals, or work done on my current one. Aside from that, I also now have a Cobra intake which is going to be ported and polished, and a nice set of partially rebuilt GT-40 iron block heads which I'm upgrading to a 1.7 rocker, and going to have P/P as well.

I've also installed a 155lb hr fuel pump, and I'm waiting to put in my 30lb injectors with my intake and heads. I'm leaving the cam alone till I get the new block sometime within the next 2-3 years.

Oh, my dyno was 277rwhp/ 360 rwtq. Since then I've seen several 5.0 dynos with 347s in the 5.0 forum. One had only exhaust, an E-303 cam, and the 347 and put out 384 rhwp, 363lbs of torque, another had the 347 and a couple of mods similar to me and cranked out 267 rwhp, 357 rwtq.

In any since, I'm thinking about getting a Camaro (96-newest) and or another 97-04 Mustang V6. I want something that looks good, and is affordable. With the rate at which things are going, I may wind up with the Camaro, they seem to be fairly well off and decently built.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Ha Jeremy? Camaro? No way

Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Lol your really steppin up in the world.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Well I never disliked them, in fact, my first car was "ALMOST" a 2002 silver Z-28, however, the salesman would not come off his 15K price tag, so I went with the 98 V6 stang instead as I was really looking for a stang in the first place, but was willing to take a Camaro for the right place. Now I'm in a different boat. I have the stang of my dreams in that it's yellow, and is slowly but surely reaching my mental ideal state (only a few mods left to go), so now I'm looking for a real DD that looks great, has decent performance, gets decent MPG, and can get me from A-B with minial to no problems, and the Camaro V6 seems to be fitting that profile nicely. The V6 stang is OK as it delivers on looks, but performance is down in the autos (which is what I'm looking at because I'm getting tired of Ford manuals and their stiffness), and MPG, in some cases, isn't much better than my 5.0, but they do meet the reliability part. So it's up in the air, it's probably going to come down to the right deal at the right time, but I'm probably going to be looking more into a 4th gen Camaro, than an Sn-95 (edge included) sixer.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 PM
4th Gear Member

So who would put E7's and a stock intake on a 347? If I recall correctly you were doing a GT40 swap. Personally I would not claim to have a stroker unless I knew for certain it was. Remember that dyno numbers can be manipulated very easy.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:13 AM

Yea, I know that, but I was also doing several things that day with the car and tuning, not to mention that I went to those guys before with my old sixer. Personally JD, I believe the car was built up much more than it was when I bought it. This car was the only car I've ever seen that had a fairly new looking intake manifold, in other words, all the other sn-95s I've seen were rusted in that oval hole, and was faded and or pitted out, mine looked damn near brand new, but had some stains on it as if it had been in storage. The heads also look unevenly worn from the engine block when looking at the car from the bottom side. Now that could be caused by anything, but to be frank, I'm not sure if I still have stock heads, or something else. In any since, I'm not too worried about that as I have a nice set of heads right besides me just waiting a nice 1.7 rocker rebuild. All I can say JD is it really doesn't matter to me what the engine has exactly because I'm rebuilding everything to the way I want it, and the engine will not be left out as I stated earlier, I'm planning on getting a forged stroker block so I "KNOW" what I have. Aside from that, the car is pretty much going to sitbecause the car is going to be fully show anyways and I'm pretty certain that I'm getting a V6 Camaro as a DD some time around Feb of next year after the5.0 is paid off in Dec. I may wind up with one before then, but who knows on that one.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
4th Gear Member

too many mustang guys on our forum.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Well good luck with your build and your search for a DD

Old 07-04-2007, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: bluovlh8er

too many mustang guys on our forum.
Hahaha nice

Old 07-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Hey one more Q. what exactly is the difference between the Camaro V6 and the Firebird V6. I know that the Firebird is built using the same frame and engine, but do they use the same trannies, and how well are they made in comparison to the Camaro, because price wise I'm findingthat the Firebird is a little cheaper than the Camaro.