93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

A computer built in

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM
Default A computer built in

I was wondering if any of you knew a way I could power a low powered (like 350-400w) computer power supply via my car so I could have one built in. I already have plans laid out for mounting an LCD screen, keyboard with touchpad, etc etc. I just need to know if there's a way I could use the car to power it.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: A computer built in

That is a lot of power, are you going to use a desktop machine? If that is the case you will need an inverter 12VDC to 120V AC. They are available in many different power outputs. Get one around 600 WATT, and feed it with a 40 AMP fuse & #8 stranded wire. Don't wire it to directly to the ignition switch cause it will burn up. Use a relay controlled by the ignition switch, and get power directly from the battery.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 PM
4' 11" 117 lbs of fury!

a tablet pc what is this pimp my ride?

Old 09-02-2007, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear member

ORIGINAL: BigNic

maybe hes a high profile lawyer with a need a need for SPEEDY INTERNET ACCESS! lol

Old 09-02-2007, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

haha... sounds like something you'd see in a civic

or yea... pimp my ride

Old 09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
3rd Gear Member

So does that mean the faster he goes, the quicker the conection.. That would really be high speed internet..
ORIGINAL: 94Red

ORIGINAL: BigNic

maybe hes a high profile lawyer with a need a need for SPEEDY INTERNET ACCESS! lol

Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 AM
1st Gear Member

and really dangerous if he's trying to get a really fast connection

haha

Old 09-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/
That is a forum thats all about installing carputers into vehicles. All the info you need about mounting, fiberglassing and all electrical info to install a PC into a car.

I just picked up a 94 Camaro and they have this huge area underneath the stereo, just in front of the shifter that will be a great place to mount and nice 5 or 6" touchscreen for the carputer I plan on installing. I'll post pics here of my carputer install in the next few weeks or month. I'm not sure exactally what hardware i'm gonna install yet, I tend to take my time and pick out just the right stuff for these projects so it might take me 2-4 weeks just to pick out and order the parts and another 2-4 weeks to install everything.
It's gonna be a fully functional computer with a 200gb hard drive for all my mp3's and a GPS navigation system compliments of a microsoft streets and trips usb GPS adapter. I already have the full computer, hard drive and GPS to use, I just have to pick out the right touchscreen and get another bezel for the project.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Why do you need a computer built in? The only cars I can think of having them are police cruisers. Why don't you just get an air card for your laptop, and use that. Its portable, practical, and mobile. Just get a power inverter to charge it, and you're good to go. What size LCD screen were you thinking of getting, because with stuff like that laying around you must want to get broken into.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: The Banks
Why don't you just get an air card for your laptop, and use that. Its portable, practical, and mobile.
Laptops in a car are bulky and really a pain in the butt if you have a passenger.

ORIGINAL: The Banks
What size LCD screen were you thinking of getting, because with stuff like that laying around you must want to get broken into.
I'm gonna go with the biggest LCD that will fit in that space below my Stereo, I'm not sure what the original poster is interested in though. As far as worrying about someone breaking into my car...Well that can happen anywhere and Ive got insurance with a very small deductable. Worrying about that is pointless...that would be like getting a KIA and asking everyone why they have expensive cars when they can just be stolen. As far as having a computer in my car I will be using it for my 160GB mp3 collection, GPS navigation, EASE diagnostic Scan tool for my car. With a wireless mouse for the computer and a touch screen you really wont be able to tell there is a computer in the car.
You should go to that forum I linked to, there are really some amazing installs that have been done that look absolutely amazing.

Quick Reply: A computer built in