93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

collapsed lifter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default collapsed lifter?

so while setting valve lash i was turning the crank over to see the 1cyl intake open and it never did, i kept turning it and every push rod moves but that 1cy intake... sound like a collapsed lifter? i tried pulling the pushrod out and reseating it but it still didnt change. currently the lower intake is still on it. the car did run ruff with little power before. any help is appriciated thanks!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Worst case scenario would be the lobes on #1 could be flat.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Back off the rocker arm adjusting nut to relieve pressure, and move rocker out of the way. Then turn engine over and watch. If the push rod goes up and down the same as all the others, it's a lifter. If it doesn't, or just barely does, the cam lobe is wiped.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i took the rocker off and it barely moves like you wont even see if you dont pay attention. is their a way to make sure its the cam without actually pulling it out? the car didnt sound terrible at idle, thought it did kinda have a lobe to it.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by IdriveDSM08
i took the rocker off and it barely moves like you wont even see if you dont pay attention. is their a way to make sure its the cam without actually pulling it out? the car didnt sound terrible at idle, thought it did kinda have a lobe to it.
You already have done the most sure fire way of checking it. A lifter colapses it makes things loose but it will not change how much the lifter goes up and down. If the lifter is not going up and down there is only one possible cause.

Depending on your plans you may want to think about a replacment engine. Cam lob wear in a 3800 SII motor is VERY uncommon. Whatever cause your rare condition most likely has caused other issues. My guess would be she ran low on oil at some point.

A good low miles used series III motor can be bought for about the same price as your going to pay for a CAM/Lifters/timeing chain.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
You already have done the most sure fire way of checking it. A lifter colapses it makes things loose but it will not change how much the lifter goes up and down. If the lifter is not going up and down there is only one possible cause.

Depending on your plans you may want to think about a replacment engine. Cam lob wear in a 3800 SII motor is VERY uncommon. Whatever cause your rare condition most likely has caused other issues. My guess would be she ran low on oil at some point.

A good low miles used series III motor can be bought for about the same price as your going to pay for a CAM/Lifters/timeing chain.
My car is a 3.4 with 93k on it. What else besides oil starvation causes that kind on cam damage? Improperly adjusted valves? I know the previous owner changes head gaskets at some point but thats all I know about the car. I picked it up for $200 barely running.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not knowing the history, any previous owner could have done something half-arsed. Your engine has flat tappet lifters, so just replacing new lifters on an old cam (and vice versa) is enough to trash either one, or both. It depends on how far you want to go, and how deep your pockets are. But I wouldn't have any hesitation replacing the cam, lifters, and timing chain set.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree, a flat tappet can wear out of a lot of reasons. I would still cut the filter a part to see if anything is in there. Maybe a compression test and oil pressure check before I installed a new cam and lifters in there.

I don't know the 3.4 block well but if the lifter that wore out is also the last lifter on the oil circuit I would be worried about oil volume issue. If it failed due to lack of oil then the new cam will not be far behind the old.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM
3rd Gear Member

Let us know what you find out.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

since the motors out of the car im gonna pull the cam and check. i do know the oil pan gasket is new so i assume it was leaking at one point. would improperly adjusted valves have any affect on the cam like that?

Quick Reply: collapsed lifter?