93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Cold starts making and making ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Default Cold starts making and making ticking?

Hey guys, I got a 2001 Camaro and 152K miles on it. When the car is started for the first time in the morning or when it has been sitting for a while, the car starts to tick and it is pronounce. It seems to do this for about 5 minutes or so until the oil and car has warmed up and gotten some what to temperature.

So, what could there be wrong with the car? I read on other threads that there is something called lifters and they need adjustment? I am used to Hondas, as they need valve adjustments, is it the same concept? Now, if it is the lifters, where do I go by checking and adjusting them?

If not, is there something I could read up about maintenance on the Camaro? What and where is the PCV valve? What does it do?

I am learning about the Camaro every day..

Run down:
1. What could be the ticking noise?
2. What/where are the lifters?
3. How do I go by adjusting/fixing/repairing it/them?
4. What/where is the PCV valve?
5. What does the PCV do?
6. Anything else I should know about the camaro and that could happen and can prevent before it happens?

Sorry guys for all this info and questions. I rather get down to business and learn everything about it now then one by one.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
4th Gear Member

What motor?

Sounds like lifters and the rest of your questions depend on what engine you are referring to.

If it is a 3.8L, the lifters are roller lifters and I don't believe there are adjustments to them. They are located under the intake manifold.

The PVC valve is on the front of the upper intake manifold under a little black cap right beside where it says 3800 on the front top of the engine. 2 screws hold the cap on. If you remove it, be careful not to allow the spring under it to fly out. They can be a buger to find! The PVC valve is a positive ventilation valve and regulates the pressure/vac of the internal engine. (easiest way to explain it) If you remove it, shake it and if it rattles, it is most likely good. Usually, what you find is a gummed up valve that does not rattel which means it is not operating properly. They are cheap to replace, around $5

If you don't have a repair manual, pick up a Haynes manual for about $25 or the good shop manuals from ebay. They are money well spent.

Then, search this site, alot of good info from people who have done just about everything to these cars, real world.

Good luck.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:55 AM
VIP member

you probably have a loose lifter popping up

Old 10-24-2009, 04:16 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

when is the last time u changed the oil? what wt of oil? what oil filter are u using? im asuming u checked the oil level. lol.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 AM

camaro_burns_all:
What could I do to fix/remedy this problem? Is there going to be a long term effect if I dont take care of it? Or is there nothing I could do?

craby:
The last time I changed the oil was less then 3k miles ago. I am using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 10w/30 oil. I am using the Fram High mileage oil filter. I check the oil level all the time. The dip stick indicates that she has not lost one drop of oil and is still full since the oil was changed.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 AM

osduck5:
Apologize, I assumed that it would be clear without mentioning what motor I had since it was V6 tech, it is a 3.8L auto transmission motor.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hows the oil pressure? does the oil smell of fuel? sounds like either the bearings are getting worn, oil pump is going, lifter is bad. could also be a small exhaust leak. they will leak when cold once warmed up the leak closes. sound just like a ticking lifter.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM

The oil pressure is always above/below the 60 center mark on the oil gauge. It does not smell like fuel that I know of...

1. How do you really know how to check if the oil pump is going bad?
2. Same goes with the lifters?
3. What is a good way to identify where and if there is a exhaust leak?

Thanks again for helping out.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if u have 40 lbs of oil pressure then the oil pump is ok. a bad lifter will not stop ticking even when u adjust it in a little to stop it, (not sure if u can adjust yours) it will not pump up. will stop if the lifter bottoms out but then will run like crap, also can put a valve threw a piston adjusting in to far. an exhaust leak, u will want to listen and see if u can track it down. have a similar issue with my truck and only way i could tell it was exhaust was a black mark by one of the exhaust ports and found one exhaust bolt was broken at that port. if its not bothering u, u could let it go but sooner or later it will get worse no matter what it is. bad lifter will eventually wear on the cam and ruin it. leaky exhaust hole will get bigger.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkn920
camaro_burns_all:
What could I do to fix/remedy this problem? Is there going to be a long term effect if I dont take care of it? Or is there nothing I could do?

craby:
The last time I changed the oil was less then 3k miles ago. I am using Pennzoil Full Synthetic 10w/30 oil. I am using the Fram High mileage oil filter. I check the oil level all the time. The dip stick indicates that she has not lost one drop of oil and is still full since the oil was changed.
Get rid of the Fram filter as soon as you can...they are garbage. The Extra Guard and Double Guard filters have problems with starving the engine of oil on startup (causing a ticking noise). The cause is a poorly designed anti-drainback valve that is often deformed and does not seal properly, allowing oil to drain out of the filter when the car is turned off, which means that immediately after starting the car, the oil pump is filling the oil filter and your engine is dry. To make things worse, the Double Guard filters are impregnated with PTFE, which is something does NOT belong in your engine and will clog your oil passages.

It appears that the "high mileage" Fram filter is a standard Extra Guard filter with a additive gel impregnated into the filter media. I cringe to think what this "high mileage" gel consists of, but if I were you, I would immediately replace your filter with a Purolator, Mobil 1, Delco or really anything besides the Fram crap.

You might be able to identify exhaust leaks with a piece of hose held up to your ear...but YMMV. It can be tricky to locate. I know on my 3800, I had a leak where the EGR tube connects to the exhaust manifold - I applied some high temp putty which quieted it down, or you could remove the fitting and put a gasket in there.

Quick Reply: Cold starts making and making ticking?