93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

coffee oil??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default coffee oil??????????

Ok I put a new transmission in my car and while I was there changed the rear main seal and rear housing gasket. Now my oil looks like coffee with extra cream! what did I do wrong? BTW I have a 1998 v6 camaro. thanks IF you know someone who works for chevy dealer please tell them to help me.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
4th Gear Member

Ok, don't blast me here because I am not a chevy mechanic but the back of that engine has two big holes at the top of the block where water is present and the rear housing and housing seal covers that up. You might have messed up the housing seal or not tightened the bolts to 11ft pds and then an additional 50 degrees. Sounds like water may be getting past that seal and possibly getting into the oil somehow. Check your engine coolant and see if it is low.

Last edited by osduck5; 03-24-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I would agree, water in the oil does that... but, are you talking about tranny fluid or motor oil looking like that?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cplthomas
I would agree, water in the oil does that... but, are you talking about tranny fluid or motor oil looking like that?
sorry motor oil the trans seems fine.

Last edited by hevymetalg; 03-25-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spel eng lol
Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok ,drained oil overnight last nite and all day while at work. Got home changed oil and filter and now im draining it again:shiner: oh! I added sea foam to help. Now ill will fill again and maybe drive to car wash to clean off the under side then when I get back ill see if the oil looks better yet. It did look better the first oil change....

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok oils good, but I thinks the uim gasket is leaking on the passenger side I just cant win. I took it for a ride to the car wash (bout 6 miles one way) came back opened the hood and steam or smoke. Looked down along fuel rail (pass side) and see a puddle down there so slamed the hood went in and grabbed a beer:chug: so what do you guys think?:thinking:

Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
Ok oils good, but I thinks the uim gasket is leaking on the passenger side I just cant win. I took it for a ride to the car wash (bout 6 miles one way) came back opened the hood and steam or smoke. Looked down along fuel rail (pass side) and see a puddle down there so slamed the hood went in and grabbed a beer:chug: so what do you guys think?:thinking:
Keep your chin up! Just a gasket, box of bandaids and a few hours of wrenching.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by osduck5
Keep your chin up! Just a gasket, box of bandaids and a few hours of wrenching.
lol thanks man. do you know if removing the black part with the wipers going thru it above the motor will give me more room to get to the pleum bolts?

Last edited by hevymetalg; 03-27-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: forgot something in post
Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hevymetalg
lol thanks man. do you know if removing the black part with the wipers going thru it above the motor will give me more room to get to the pleum bolts?
I don't know. I removed mine without having to do that. Once you get the wiring harness and fuel rail out of the way, that gives you much more room and there are only one bolt on each side of the rear. Just a note in case you have never taken the plenum off, the thermostat housing has to be removed before the front of it will come up. One of the bolts holding the housing to the plenum also holds the plenum to the motor.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by osduck5
I don't know. I removed mine without having to do that. Once you get the wiring harness and fuel rail out of the way, that gives you much more room and there are only one bolt on each side of the rear. Just a note in case you have never taken the plenum off, the thermostat housing has to be removed before the front of it will come up. One of the bolts holding the housing to the plenum also holds the plenum to the motor.
oh! cool thanks for the info man.

Quick Reply: coffee oil??????????