93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Default Clutch Replacement

So tomorrow I will be coming home from college to replace the clutch in my 2000 V6, all stock. I have an Exedy oem replacement clutch kit that I had delivered to my house, here is the link 2000 Chevy Camaro Exedy Clutch Kit for Models with V6 3.8L at 1AAuto.com . I heard they were good replacements so thats why i ordered one. My question is how long will this take and are they're any special tricks to this? Also is there a sticky about swapping a t5 clutch? I am taking the flywheel to get resurfaced on friday. I have almost an entire shop at home and am a mechanical engineering undergrad with a lot of experience. I am just wondering what the big concerns are and if there is anything that will make the job easier.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:04 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

That kit only has the bearing? You want to install a slave cylinder at the same time. I am not sure what is involved with replacing just the bearing, it normally already comes assembled with the slave cylinder. Most kits come with a clutch alignment tool. That one does not look like it does. If it does not have one you will need to buy for a T-5 with the same spline or if you have a mechanics alignment tool that will work also. Trying to install a transmission and not having the clutch aligned can be a nightmare

You are going to need new bolts for the fly wheel. The bolts are Torque to yield bolts and can not be reused. ( In engineer terms the bolts have been torque beyond their yield point, due to the material and heat treat the root diameter becomes like a spring, If you try to reuse the bolts they will just twist the root diameter and you will not have the spring effect. the bolts will loosen up due to heat pretty quickly) I am pretty sure the only source is a GM dealership. Do NOT try to replace the bolts with a grade 8 or even a cap screw. The spring effect is how the engineers are dealing with the flywheel expansion when hot, The flywheel growth when hot will stretch any none spring type bolt beyond stretching limits and it will come loose.

If you go down to the Reference section you can download the GM manual for your car.
https://camaroforums.com/forum/camar...d-views-73894/

Do you know the process for getting the old Pilot bearing out?

If I remember right you will need a torque angle gage.

You have to remove the bell housing to get the slave/release bearing off. With high miles can it can be a fight to get the input shaft to pull out of the clutch plate. There can be a build up of hard clutch material on the other side of the clutch plate.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-29-2013 at 10:26 AM.