93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Check Gauges / ABS Inop lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Check Gauges / ABS Inop lights

I was driving to a friends house when I realized the ABS Inop light was on. I pulled over and restarted the car. Upon startup, all the normal lights came on and then the ABS Inop light went off. Then a new light came on, Check gauges...

I checked my owner's manual and it said to take it to the dealer. FYI, I dont take my car to any dealer and am shy to take her to a mechanic.

It has to be my altinator or my battery, right? I guess I'll change my brake pads too. Got any ideas? Anyone experience this problem before?

Old 07-29-2006, 12:29 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Check Gauges / ABS Inop lights

Usualy when it says "check gauges" that is what it means you to do. see what the oil pressure, volts, temp gauges are telling you. That light is to attract your attention to the gauges.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, yeah, I was running my headlights, A/C pretty almost full blast, my cop radar detector, and stereo. I have the delco Bose stereo system in my car and I think that is the best stereo, right? It has the 500W amp too, right?

Old 07-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Yeah that might had made you volts drop enough to trigger the light.
And I do think that the bose system is suposed to be the best factory system.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:44 AM

I have a question. My husband recently bought a 67 ss. It is restored with a 350 and runs good. so why is it necessary to change the motor to a 454? Is it just a man thing? I thought the car was great the way it is.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:49 AM

I have a question. My husband recently bought a 67 ss. It is restored with a 350 and runs good. so why is it necessary to change the motor to a 454? Is it just a man thing? I thought the car was great the way it is.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I just went out to my car and started her up. Battery gauge was in the red and I think it was around the 10 volt area. Revved my car in the 2K area for a few seconds and the voltometer didnt budge at all. I backed out and started a little drive around the block. Voltometer still didnt budge. As I'm pulling up to a stop sign, and press the brake pedal, the ABS Inop light comes on again. What do you think it is?

Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Tech Droid

First take care of the low voltage situation, good chance the alternator died. Once youfixed thevolt problem and if the ABS lite is still on, you need to have the car scanned to see what the ABS system is complaining about. Otherwise you may be messing around the ABS for days till you stumble on the problem.
As an aside, a 100 amp alternator is good for 1300 Watts +-. Your 500 watt stereo is using over 1/3 of the available output, leaving only 800 Watt to run the rest of the car.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, Thanks Pete. I took my camaro to the autozone and they tested her battery and altenator...Alt is dead. And my car is running off the battery. I'm going to go get a duralast alt at a diff store.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Overdrive Member

Just like Pete said that abs system comes second. It may be turning the light on because it is not getting enough volts to that system.

Quick Reply: Check Gauges / ABS Inop lights