93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Catchin Up on the To Do List

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Default Catchin Up on the To Do List

Well I have a 95 Camaro- 3.4 Liter V6

Recently as of last week my car has had this burning oil smell coming from it. Today when i got back from class it was smokin under the hood after i turned it off. I have been keepin an eye on the oil to make sure it doesnt go low but I have no clue wat my problem is. I changed the oil 2 weeks ago.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Catchin Up on the To Do List

get anything in the oil?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ninetysixyenko

get anything in the oil?
It wouldnt be smoking under the hood..Possible rocker arm cover gasket or intake gasket. Oil is getting onto more than likely the exhaust manifolds.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:19 PM
4th Gear Member

i hated changing oil, i always spilled some. would always smoke for bout 3weeks.. i was thinking more serious type of smoke.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:22 PM
4th Gear Member

and reason i asked if anything in oil, my dad put 2 qts of tranny fluid in his old camaro on accident once.. after a week, got a god awful smell and like smoke smoke, not jus feint smoke. he figured out what he did, changed oil again, ran it for 2 hours, then changed again, and replaced head gaskets jus incase, and was fine.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Well I searched the forum about my problem and I hope its my oil pressure switch but it might be my oil pump. My car has about 174,000 miles on it so everything is tearing apart. How much would replacing those gaskets cost if I had to replace them. My oil pressure also goes very low after it warms up and that is when my car has that burnt oil smell and u can see it smoke a little while im at a light. I havent found a leak or anything. Any replieswould be helpful.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Overdrive Member

Are you certain it is oil, burning antifreeze sometimes has a smell somewhat similar to oil...

Old 10-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Yea im pretty sure its oil cause i check my dipstick often and it is missing maybe a 1/4 of a quart of oil everytime i check. But my car is also leaking antifreeze. My to do list before winteris to:
Change the hoses on my radiator because i think its leaking from there and flush it
Get a new starter
Find out why my car is burning oil and where
Get a transmission flush

I just bought a new battery 3 days ago so thats done

I also need to redo my headliner but that is not really that important. I just want my engine to run fine again without any leaks or problems again.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Overdrive Member

But if you drive the car hard, you can easily go through some oil and have to add some -- I do on my SS, not so much on my 3.4L though...

Put a sheet of cardboard under your car after driving it for at least an hour, and see what drips on the cardboard -- smell and look at it -- see if it's oil or antifreeze...

I just replaced the starter on my 3.4L since I think an antifreeze leak did it in -- I also have a fuel pressure issue I am troubleshooting where the car doesn't start until the 3rd or 4th try...

Old 10-12-2007, 06:46 AM

I dont drive my car hard at all. I baby that thing cause i need to make it last for me till next year.

I will do the cardboard test and see wat comes up.

How hard is it to replace the starter?

Im just goin to fix one problem at a time right now and hopefully nothing gets out of hand.

Quick Reply: Catchin Up on the To Do List