93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I take back that my Camaro "does" have a start relay. It is listed that way inside the fuse box behind the light. If any of you have worked on specifically a 2002 Camaro, you will find it different from other 4th gen Camaros. I have (2) 2002 and (2) 2001 Camaros. My 2001 models match prints. 2002 models won't.

I am highly suspecting the 2002 model may not have a VATS relay. The wiring is just a totally different animal. The VATS box (or whatever you call it) may contain the relay on a 2002 model. I do see a purple wire going into it.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try here, wiring diagrams may have some info for you otherwise try the fb99 manual. My Files

Old 12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Overdrive Member

There was no major change to the wiring from 99-02 on the V6 cars. 96, 97 and 98 were unique even tho they all had the same engine. The only real change to the wiring in the 2000-02 cars was with the stereo and the steering wheel controls.

There is no TDR. This job is handled by the BCM and it will activate the Fuel pump relay, IGN relay, and starter relay if the key passes the check. No pass no start. Now you can test each of these relays for resistance through the coil and continuity when energized There should be no resistance when energized, if you get some then there is carbon on the contacts or a weak contact which could cause your issue. Relays are very robust and are usually not the cause of the issue. I have been a mechanic for a living, I currently sell parts. When a customer brings me a relay that is not melted I usually test it for them and send them home to make some other tests to confirm the issue.

Lemme ask you this. When the car does not start does the security light blink? If so look at the bypassed VATS.

If not:

Does the car turn over and just not fire? This condition is called Crank No Start. Usually related to the fuel delivery or spark. Check fuel pressure and pull a wire to see if you have spark.

No fuel... Bybass the fuel pump relay and check fuel pressure... no pressure replace pump and filter, low pressure check filter first, if good replace pump.

No spark. Check another coil pack. If good replace dead coil pack. If 2 or more coil packs are not sparking your problem could be CKS or module. O'Reilly's can test the module (not sure who else can) If module is good make sure CKS is plugged in. Your schematics should be able to show you power to the CKS and int ICM test for the right voltages with key on. I cant remember if your CKS is a 2 or 3 wire. If 3 wire you will have +5V GND and Signal. you would need a O-scope to check for the signal. Your PCM is really good at determining a CKS issue. Your CMS is not needed for ignition control so it will not cause a Crank No Start condition.

Another thing that will cause CNS condition is: The Petal sensor reading WOT at time the ignition is turned to the "on" position. This puts the engine is diagnostics mode and disables the ignition and fuel. The PCM will detect CKS and CMS pulses and report to a Tech II. (along with a couple other readings) This is used for compression testing and o-scope testing of the CKS and CMS sensors. Also used for testing some trans issues.

If the engine will not turn over then bypass the starter relay and see if it cranks. If so then look to the BCM and PCM and lock out sensors. Try again in N and also while moving the shifter.

If not then it is the starter. GM starters have a bad habbit of not wanting to energize when they start failing. Tapping on them or even slamming the door of the car is sometimes enough of a rattle to get it working again for a short while.

Massey

Old 12-05-2013, 05:07 AM
4th Gear Member

Nice instructions, Massey, Thank you.