93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car will not even turn over - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Angry Car will not even turn over - HELP!

Hello everyone, I have a '97 Camaro RS that has been sitting in my driveway for three weeks. I am at a lose and have exhausted all troubleshooting efforts. When you turn the key to the the start position, the car will not start. For some reason, the starter solenoid is not receiving a signal to turn the engine. Here is a small example of my troubleshooting efforts:
1. Replaced ignition lock cylinder.
2. Replaced key with correct resistor value.
3. Replaced VATS relay.
4. Replaced body control module (very expensive).
5. Checked all the fuses.

When I turn the key to the start position, I can hear the fuel pump and that's about it. The engine will not start. I believe the problem is electrical in nature and unfortunately I'm just not that familiar with the layout of the car. At first and for about two days, the problem was intermittent. If anyone can offer any advise, I would greatly appreciate it. This problem has got me stumped.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay hows it goin. some one with more know how on 6s should come back for ya. welcome to the forum

Last edited by craby; 08-26-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Stick or automatic?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:47 AM

The car is an automatic with about 115,000 miles on it. thanks

Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

recharge the battery or get a new one, then check to see if your alternator is working.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I would check your neutral safety switch. As you're trying to start the car, smack the shifter a little further into the park position, and see if it starts. The switch could be out of position, it may have burned/worn out, or it could be the wiring to or from the switch.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM

Will the 97's start in neutral like some other vehicles will?

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Droid

Neutral safety switch

Attached Thumbnails Car will not even turn over - HELP!-neutral-safety-switch.jpg  
Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you can get to the neutral safety switch you want to check to see if you have power going to it amd leaving it. If its coming to it but not going away its the switch if it not going to the switch then you need to test the ignition switch. I have seen ignition switchs that have come apart inside that have worked fine at everything but cranking.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks to all that replied. I checked the neutral safety switch but didn't put a meter on it. Here is an update following along the same lines as Gorn mentioned above. I managed to get the car cranked and start but knew that it would only be temporary. I have the steering column broke down to the ignition switch and after wiggling the ignition lock cylinder the car suddenly shut down. I attempted to restart the car however got nothing. The body control module will not even respond whereas before I was getting power to this control. Something in the steering column is at fault. Does anyone know the interworkings of the steering column for this model. Ground wires maybe? There also seems to be some resistance on the lock cylinder now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Car will not even turn over - HELP!