93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Car misfiring badly :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs down Car misfiring badly :(

K guys, my car has been giving me HUGE!!! pita issues...

Car always driven fine,tho I always had a cylinder 6 misifre and my tranny shifter will always vibrate..Till I had car not wanting to accelerate past 3k RPM, It couldn't breathe, it shut off a couple times, horrible fuel smell and pita to crank back up unless I kept it at over 1k RPM so idle won't shut it off.

Car has absolutely almost no power from a stop,I gotta rev it and accelerate with the clutch engaged or it's just to weak to go. Car aside from that previous event of cranking up,two days ago car didn't crank at all, no click no nothing like power wasn't getting to the starter. Car still has it's *****y moments like that and that it turns off at a stop at regular idle speed(750) unless im revved. Also car's computer I think was acting up as all my meters were bouncing side to side, my MPH now got messed up cause it's not calibrated at 0,it's sitting under it on top of bezel,so now it might be about 5mph off. Today they also played around a bit when I put in seafoam and was revvin it...

So inlist of order this is what I have done to car...(Oil Change was 1,500 M ago)*2 Stp 12oz FI Cleaners * Air Filter,Cleaned MAF Sensor,Cleaned Throttle Body,OEM Irodium Spark Plugs,Fuel Filter,Spark Plug Wires,Changed one coil pack that was cracked(car still hiccups very bad),(the plug terminals on the other two cp are abit rusted,I grit sanded it but didn't realy take out much,it's still somewhat rusted.) Just sea-foamed(Had 9 Gallons so I put about 10oz of it) the car thru gas tank only and nothing but very light puffs came out,I left it cranked for 30,problem still persists.

I was told It coul be the intake manifold gasket,the told me to spray brake fluid all over it,too see if I notice any change since gasket won't be able to suck in any air...Unless I did wrong or missed a spot,nothing changed at all.

Even with all those changes my car is still throwing the same following codes-

*P0171- Bank 1 system too lean *P0174 Bank 2 system too lean *P0174 Bank 2 system too lean (pending) *P0300(Twice) Random multiple misfire.

So im down to 4 possibilities,this is kinda guessy as maybe it's a sensor(s) but just my 1 cent lol...
* The other 2 coil packs * Bad Fuel Pump * Leak In Exhaust manifold *
Burned Valve * Vacuum leak somewhere ...

I really want to fix this issue with a desire,I want to enjoy my camaro,I love my ride, but damn this is killing me softly jejej,seriously guys I need your suggestions please as they're very well appreciated!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, a misfire could also be caused by a leaking or bad fuel injector.
I would also take out one of the plugs and check for signs of oil.

When you cleaned your throttlebody, where did you see the white smoke afterwards?
As for bank 1 and 2 codes, that's your oxygen sensors. Check for coolant in the oil.

As for your guages, that's a different problem. Get your alternator tested and check your ground wires!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Overdrive Member

OK you are lean on both banks with missfires and jumpy gauges. First off I would check your fuel pressure. Not sure what the specs are atm but some one here may be able to get you that info. If you dont have enough fuel pressure you are not going to get enough fuel out of the injector durring its open cycle, and that will make a lean engine. Too lean and you get a missfire, and idling issues. Bad grounds can also cause the injectors not to fire properly so check that out.

P0300 is RARELY caused by an ignition issue. it is usually air or fuel delivery or an air metering problem.

The shifter problem sounds to me like a broken trans mount, or a bad U joint, bent rim or loose rear suspension conponents. The diff is hooked up to the trans mount through the torque arm so anything that happens back there is felt on the stick. Autos do not to this since the linkage is attached to a cable.

Hope this gives you an idea where to start looking. Oh and I am going to assume you have a 3800 by the pic for your avatar.

Massey

Old 04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

deff sounds like its a fuel problem, rather a injector or filter or pump. sounds like the car is not getting the fuel it wants. if it was me check the pressure and if its low start with the cheapest a new fuel filter.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Overdrive Member

How many miles on the car? Are the O2 Sensors still original? Check your plug wire routing such that they are not shorting out -- are they in the stock layout & looms?

Sure you cleaned that MAF wire good? Clean the butterfly valve -- get rid of any gum/varnish. Have you have a fuel pressure test yet? Had the fuel injectors NOID tested yet?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 04-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Exclamation

Guys,Thanks for all the help,y'll the best. I do not have a pc so I cant check this very frequently. However I did read over the posts and was of help. As Massey commented, I do have a bent rim and a have to change tranny mount.

The main misfiring issue guys was the coil packs,all 3 were damaged!
Car cranked up like nothing,however there was a tiny minimal fault that you can feel by a small vibration on the hood of car and inside cabin,barely feel it but its there and no its not cause of mount,felt like a tiny misfire,but thing said car ran perfect! Till I ran into a huge issue this last friday night...

I had refueled my car about 25 minutes some 8-10 miles from station when my car just died on a turn. I was with my boy which has mechanic experience and it had rained a bit,he said if I had just refueled and I told him yes and hes like oh has to be water in the gas that got into the tanks at the station.Smelled like fuel,car hasn't messed with me after fix,so Im like ok ill take his word then but I was a lil skeptical,and well,we tried to turn that bad boy on and it will crank then die out right away. To make it short,he was revving the car non-stop for like 15 mins,all the way to 7 rpm and hit rev-limiter a few times.

Car was backfiring alot,thowing pops and fire thru exhaust(stock),white smoke exiting so Im like ok that has to be water then,so I truly believed in his word then. Don't ask me about the 15 min revving,cause trust me I got nervous as hell but Im like screw it,keep gassing it.This is one of the most reliable motors ever assmebled,lets see what it can hold I said to myself.

So we got to the closest gas station,and we put 93 gas and fuel injection cleaner,well car started throwing white and black mixed,still backfiring then outta nowhere It sounded like a shotgun blast!... A big chunk of something came shot outta the exhaust,I quickly ran to it and confirmed it was a carbon piece,Im like holy smokes,I probably got a choked cat.So well coincidentally right after that the car heated up nasty,didn't check gauge temp,but smoke came thru block and all the coolant leaked through somewhere on the ground. I towed the car home.

Here it is sitting outside...We have 2 mechanics,and a muscle car/chevy guy(Owns a stingray,70's Impala ss and MC ss,a blown vette,just thought i'd throw that out there lol sorry ) mechanic.One didn't touch it but just gave his opinion since he was busy that I can be a bad o2 sensor and choked the hell out cat. The other did check under car and all,hooked it up to the scanner,says its a bad o2.The muscle car mechanic had a deep overlook,we tried and crank it,and hella alot of black smoke,nasty fuel smell,he says cars running on rich big time.And said issue has to be crank sensor...

So ok now guys,the cat has to be changed I am pretty positive,it's clogged,plus it always had this little weird sound in-between shifting gears.Tho you can tell it was changed by previous owner,since all exhaust piping is dirty and rusty while the cat looks new,looks like stainless steel. Car was sitting for a long long time before I bought it,thats why it has rust in the water/coolant.

So guys what can be the matter with my beloved 3.8?
I appreciate the help as always guys!Only Camaro site I need!