93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

car dies at normal idle BUT only after the car is warm

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:59 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default car dies at normal idle BUT only after the car is warm

ok i have a 1995 camaro 3.4 5 speed.

i have the problem only when the car is at normal running temp. and not all the time. first thing in the day or after sitting for three hrs + the car will stat just like it should. if i start the car and leave it running it will usually run fine sometimes it dies when it runs at normal idle but after a hour drive give or take. but when i turn the car off and try to restart it. it sounds like its not getting fuel or spark. idk so this is what i have done

i changed the plugs wires. new pvc , new mass air sensor. tested the ing control mod tested good. im thinking maybe my coil packs. or fuel related. i changed my fuel filter. i would like to test my fuel pressure but they want to much to buy it for a one time use. or maybe the fuel regulator
has anyone had this problum or maybe know someone who has..
thanks Rod

Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check for vacumn leaks. any and all hoses. pull the fuel pressure vacumn hose and see if theres fuel in it. if so replace fpr. check idle air control motor/valve for crud build up. clean it. check thottle position sensor for correct voltage. check the egr valve and clean. and check the pcv valve. thats a good start and we ll see if u find anything with these.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

looked for a vacuum leak. not one plus should hear it.. ill try the fuel vacuum hose. and the idle air control value. changed the egr, and the pcv with new

Last edited by mybbz28; 01-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

don't think it would be the thottle position sensor again it only dose this when the car is at normal running conditions (when its hot). if it was TPS it would do it all the time would it not

Last edited by mybbz28; 01-30-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Tech Droid

Check engine lite lit? Have you checked for trouble codes?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well yes . here is some history got the car three months or so put a engine in it i found on line. use engine 76000 miles. was in a 95 that was totaled. the car was sitting in a field for a long time with no engine.

so i tried to test the ECM the computer wont pair up with it. the check engine light doesn't turn on at all even when the key is turned to the on position. so im thinking needs flashed or a new ecm.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so your using the computer from the car originally?

Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yes same ecm. the car i got the new engine was the same type of camaro as mine.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

but my thought is if the ecm is shot. why is the car still running? up until Saturday the car ran great.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:40 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it sat without a motor i would suspect the sensor side of the connections. if it sat outside without a hood and the computer was in an outdoor environment then there could be water damage. im not familiar with the 6 computer but with mine i can take the cover off and inspect it. thats how i found the water damage in mine. it was rusting and u could see the water intrusion in the circuit board. might be worth a look. my car ran good until one day it ran funny off and on, a few days later then not at all.

Quick Reply: car dies at normal idle BUT only after the car is warm