93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Camaro v6 Missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Camaro v6 Missing?

Hey guys,

The camaro was running completly fine, went to wash it, then took it to the gas station to fill it up and when I started it the idle was rough. So i take off down the road and it shakes up until about 2.5K. Now when you put it in idle it only stutters for a split second then it is fine. I was reading on here and someone said it might be a crankshaft sensor, but im not sure. All the wires to the plugs are tight and not loose and i did a tune up about 400 miles ago.

Any help would be great

Cars a 1995 Camaro 3.4L V6

Josh

Old 02-12-2010, 04:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Did you get water on the engine when washing it? Could have grounded something out from a wiring connection, bad plug wires, etc. How low did you let the gas get? Could be sucking junk out of the tank and stopping up your gas filter. Did the SES light come on? If it is a moisture issue, it more than likely will clear up once it drys out.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I let it get pretty empty which I have another fuel filter at m house. Where is the fuel filter located? But I didn't let the engine get wet but it's possible.. It does it all the time and no the check engine light is not on

Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by josh95camaro
I let it get pretty empty which I have another fuel filter at m house. Where is the fuel filter located? But I didn't let the engine get wet but it's possible.. It does it all the time and no the check engine light is not on
I believe the fuel filter is located the same as on the 3.8 which is on the drivers side up next to the frame near the rear wheel. Did you put new plug wires on when you tuned it? Have you ever changed the coil paks. Many things can cause misfire including bad fuel, sensors, injectors, plugs and wires, vac leaks, and the list goes on. MIght want to take it somewhere and get the codes read so you are not throwing money away on good parts.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Not trying to kick anybody in the nuts, but it never makes sense to me why someone would think that a low level in the gas tank is going to make you suck up some crud, more than you would if the gas wasn't low? The pickup sock sits at the bottom of the tank, sucking the gas off the bottom. If there is crap settled on the bottom of the tank (which is where crud ends up), it's there to get picked up whether the tank is full or empty.
But check the filter, especially if it's never been changed. When an engine starts running like crap right after a fill-up, you have to start suspecting the gas first. Could be you got a bad batch at the station. If you replace the filter, let some gas run into a clear jar and let it sit for a while. See if you get any kind of settling or separation happening.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Not trying to kick anybody in the nuts, but it never makes sense to me why someone would think that a low level in the gas tank is going to make you suck up some crud, more than you would if the gas wasn't low? The pickup sock sits at the bottom of the tank, sucking the gas off the bottom. If there is crap settled on the bottom of the tank (which is where crud ends up), it's there to get picked up whether the tank is full or empty.
But check the filter, especially if it's never been changed. When an engine starts running like crap right after a fill-up, you have to start suspecting the gas first. Could be you got a bad batch at the station. If you replace the filter, let some gas run into a clear jar and let it sit for a while. See if you get any kind of settling or separation happening.
LOL! Guess you are right about the crude in the gas. Going on what I have been told but no facts to back up, gas that is mixed with ethanol can seperate in cold weather with the fuel rising to the top and water on bottom and the less fuel in the tank, the easier for it to do so. Again, just what I have been told.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Never replaced the coil packs, I did replace the plugs and wires with the tune up.. I'm going to get a code reader on it after work today at six. It seems after 3.5K RPM's that it settles out and doesnt do it anymore. I also put injector cleaner in it so we shall see if it was that.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i am gona say u get a misfire code. should we get a little action goin. lol

Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hope it's not the Fuel pump going out, that i an expensive, or at least annoying repair, depending on if you take it in or do it yourself. When mine went out for about a day and a half before it still ran fine, but had moments of power loss, or missing, or just acting liek it was struggling. Then one day it just quit running as if someone shut off my key while I was cruisin down the road.

I didn't think it would fire up if the Crank shaft sensor was bad or having issues.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by osduck5
LOL! Guess you are right about the crude in the gas. Going on what I have been told but no facts to back up, gas that is mixed with ethanol can seperate in cold weather with the fuel rising to the top and water on bottom and the less fuel in the tank, the easier for it to do so. Again, just what I have been told.
I guess today is pick on duck day!
Ethanol in the gas acts as a "catalyst" between the water and gas. Water & gas don't mix. But water & alcohol do mix, and gas & alcohol mix. So putting it all together allows the gas to absorb the water. That's what adding a can of "Heet" in the gas tank does if you have water or moisture in the tank. That's also why gas companies have a "winter blend" that contains a higher percentage of ethanol.

Quick Reply: Camaro v6 Missing?