93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Calling All Fuel Pump Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Default Calling All Fuel Pump Gurus

Hi there I'm Joe, and I have a 1996 camaro. Currently it does not start but it did 3 months ago when I last drove it. I tried replacing the fuel pump and the fuse and the relay and nothing. It cranks over good and the battery is brand new. I checked the relay with a light test ( name escapes me at the moment) and only when I put it on the orange wire did it light up. I've been searching for four days on different forums and have came up with nothing. I also cannot hear the fuel pump prime or anything. It just keeps cranking over.please help, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

First check for spark. If you have a extra spark plug, just remove a spark plug wire and put the extra plug in the end of it. Then have some one crank the engine over and you check to see if that park plug is firing.

Then check your fuel pressure with a pressure gauge.

That's what you need to check be for doing anything else.

P.S: Make sure your fuel pump ground wire is attached and not lose (as well as any ground you may have removed).

Old 01-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Overdrive Member

Do as listed above. Buy or rent a fuel pressure test kit and see what the pressure is. The 3.8L engine demands 55lbs of fuel pressure most of the time.

If no spark I would have the control module below the coils checked. Most O'Reilly stores can test them. If no fuel pressure check to make sure all connections at the pump are good and the grounds too. Did you replace the harness with the new pump? You should no matter what condition your harness is in. That plug goes through a lot of stress and even if not melted it may not make good contact.

Welcome and let us know what ya find.

Massey

Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM
cad

When you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump running for a moment?
And welcome...you will find your answer to your problem in this thread...keep at it, and do as members advise, and you'll be up and running in no time.
The fuel pressure test port is on the fuel rail and looks like a tire valve stem...easy.
Clark

Old 01-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Thank you all for your reply! No I just changed the fuel pump itself. Is there a way to test the wires there with my test light? I'll be happy to pill it again and test it, when I put it in the gauge started reading beyond fill so I think I put it in a little wrong with the float somehow but even before it was reading correctly. Don't know where any grounds are. I do not hear the pump turn on at all even before the swap. I will get on buying a fuel pressure test kit today.

Do I use the port on the rail or the other port by the fuel regulator? I've been searching for pictures all night on where it goes. I'm way more of a visual learner. Would it be worth it for me to buy those scanners they use? Since the car doesn't run I can't take it for them to test. Ah I had a dream it ran last night!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't waste your time bothering to check fuel pressure or spark. Since your pump isn't running and priming, I can tell you right now it's at zero pressure.
You'll want to test for power during the key-on prime at the rear bulkhead connector, and work your way forward if power is dead there.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are not hearing the fuel pump run at all when you turn the key to the on position, it is not getting power, or ground, or both.

A 'smarter-than-me' electrical teacher taught me once: "Always check from source to load". Start at the relays and fuse block and work your way back to the pump wiring. Check harness connections, grounds etc. It is painful and slow, but you will have that "A Ha!" moment at some point during the process.

This link shows how to bypass the relay. If you bypass the relay and the pump turns on, then you either have a bad relay, or a break in the trigger wiring to the relay.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Jump power to the pump prime connector under the hood. This bypasses the relay circuit and powers straight to the pump.
If the pump still doesn't run, your problem is in the back. If the pump does run, your problem is with the relay circuit, or it could be associated with the ECM, ignition switch, etc.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-12-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM

I thought the fuel pump relay was inside the car by the drivers left foot. On the website randy gave me it says locate the relay i n the black box under the hood, I'm guessing where some of the fuses are located. How to I jump power to the prime connector? Is it as simple as using a wire and connect one end to the connector and the other to the positive side of the battery?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Simply run a wire from the battery to the prime connector.
And yes, the fuel pump relay is under the foot kick panel. You should know that tho since you already replaced it.

Quick Reply: Calling All Fuel Pump Gurus