93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Brakes gave out on me

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Brakes gave out on me

Ok so my brakes gave out a few times and i had to pull the e brake but here is the full story. I have a 94, 3.4 L.Any suggestions on how to stop this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, so when i first start driving my car, and i get up over 20 mph, and use my brakes, my car starts making a sound at around 10-15 mph and the "Low Traction" light comes on as well. The sound sounds like it is surging for air or like a squeaking sound. Usually my brakes lose a little pressure and then recover but a couple of times they lost all pressure and the pedal went straight to the floor and i had to pull the e brake just to stop. After a few times of the low traction light coming on, the "ABS INOP" light comes on and then the problem disappears. It Doesnt make a sound when i stop and it stops perfectly fine. The next time i start my car though, the ABS light is off and it starts over again with the low traction and the sound. I took it to a brake shop and they told me the hub assembly was loose and i needed to replace it. So they replaced it and the problem still occurs...

Old 09-05-2009, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Abs is failing and once the car realizes its failing it shuts off? Sounds like it have you had brake shop test drive it I bet it is somewhere in your abs system

Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

they test drove it and said it was the hub assembly but obviously its not. the abs light is stays on now and it doesnt make the sound.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When I first read you post I was assuming it was your bearing assembly aka your hub assembly. Why do you think its not?

If your hub is flopping around it can push the caliper all the way in. You only get so much piston stroke per foot pump so as the piston is trying to get back to where it was the pedal feeling like it not doing anything until the piston get back to where it was. The first thing you see with a failing hub is a is the ABS light do the fact the speed sensor is not aligned inside the bearing. I have even seen them blink on off real has as the wheel wobbles.

It could be the main ABS dump valve sticking but I have not heard of that causing the pedal to go all the way to the floor.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well see they replaced the wheel bearing/hub assembly and it didnt fix the problem so i have no clue what to do

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

also on the side where it was replaced, i changed my brake pads the day before and one of the pads on that side was warped off the metal backing

Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 PM
4th Gear Member

Did you open any of the bleeder screws when replacing the pads? Might have some air in the system.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yup. already did that. there was no air in the system

Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You are not losing fluid? and the pedal goes to the floor sometimes? The next thing I would try would be a master cylinder. It could be that when you pushed fluid back into the master cylinder it damaged the cup seal. I know basic stuff about the ABS but maybe someone with more experance with the 4th gen brakes can jump in.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

does anyone know how to just make the ABS INOP light turn off temporarily? I tried disconnecting the battery and it is still on whenever i start the car again

Quick Reply: Brakes gave out on me