93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Bcm

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bcm

Does anyone know where i can get a write up on replacing the bcm in my car the interior door power locks and lights will not work and i checked all the fuses and wiring they are good. if i replace it do i need to replace the key as well due to the vats chip ? any help would be appreciated.

Reaper

Old 03-12-2010, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

BCM is plug-n-play. I replaced mine at the end of last year. Keep your old key, and the new BCM will learn its resistance the first time you turn it on.

As far as replacing goes, start by unplugging the battery. Then, remove the kick panel under the passenger side dashboard, and the plastic panel that goes past the door. You'll see the wires leading to the BCM, and it's kinda hidden in a little black case below the glove box.

If you need to remove the glove box to get to it, be sure to disarm the airbag first (with the battery unplugged, remove the airbag fuse and disconnect they yellow connector under the glove box).

The BCM itself is a circuit-board inside a little black box. That black box is held up within another black case by some pretty sturdy plastic tabs. You'll need a screwdriver or two in order to pry those tabs out. Once you've done that, the BCM pulls DOWN out of this casing. Don't bother trying to pull it out the top, because there's nowhere near enough room to get it out that way.

Installing the new one is the easy part. Just match the connectors where they belong and slide it up into the casing that you just removed the old one from. A helpful hint, though... I'd plug the battery back in and start the car up before you actually put the new BCM inside its casing. Just make sure the new one works before you pack it all back up.

Then put your dash back together, and you're good to go.

Edit: I forgot to mention... there are tons of places to buy these from, but don't get one used. If you do, you'll have to make sure to get one that matches your car's electrical package as well as your key's resistance. The best price I found on a brand new one was an ebay store, seller named thepartsladi. This ebay store had two for my year: one with and one without keyless entry. Pick the one you need.

Last edited by nnewquist; 03-12-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Prices