93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

battery gauge keeps droping

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default battery gauge keeps droping

so the problem is tht ever so often my battery gauge on the dash will drop a lil past half way and my headlights,ac and everything drops also

it does it when im coming to a stop or sumthing just when it wants but it always comes back up to normal and everythig works fine but it always will do it again..

i was tryin to find sum kind of pattern but there doesnt seem to be one like i said it just kindof does it whenever but most of the time when im braking

if anyone else has had this problem please give me any input as to what to look at or why it might be doing this..

Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: battery gauge keeps droping

Sounds like your voltage regulator (built into the alternator) might be acting up. But since you notice it happening mostly when you're braking, check for any loose wires at the alternator just for the he!! of it.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

Sounds like your voltage regulator (built into the alternator) might be acting up. But since you notice it happening mostly when you're braking, check for any loose wires at the alternator just for the he!! of it.

ya mostly when braking...
i mean it will drop and my lights and any other things running will drop also but if i give her gas it shoots right back up and is normal again....
im beginning to wonder if it might be my alt but ive gone to advanced auto parts and they tested it and said it was ok
my alt wines also a lil i think could this be a sign of it goin out...

Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

My car has an intermittent whine too. Come to think of it, it's only when the wife is in the passenger seat!!
But seriously, from your other description, it sounded like it could have been a loose wire (maybe by a long-shot) associated with a "lunging" when you hit the brakes. But when you're on the brakes, your foot is off the gas pedal, engine rpm's drop, and so does a certain level of alternator output. I still think it's the alternator that's doing it. If you have a test meter, check the output right at the alternator. Rev the engine and let it drop to idle. Keep an eye on the readings and see what it does. Then turn on the headlights, heater blower, etc. and check it again. And, an alternator whine isn't normal. It's most likely a sign that it's struggling to keep up with demand. Do you have a whumpin-thumpin stereo amp that could be sucking some juice?

Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Camaro 69

My car has an intermittent whine too. Come to think of it, it's only when the wife is in the passenger seat!!
But seriously, from your other description, it sounded like it could have been a loose wire (maybe by a long-shot) associated with a "lunging" when you hit the brakes. But when you're on the brakes, your foot is off the gas pedal, engine rpm's drop, and so does a certain level of alternator output. I still think it's the alternator that's doing it. If you have a test meter, check the output right at the alternator. Rev the engine and let it drop to idle. Keep an eye on the readings and see what it does. Then turn on the headlights, heater blower, etc. and check it again. And, an alternator whine isn't normal. It's most likely a sign that it's struggling to keep up with demand. Do you have a whumpin-thumpin stereo amp that could be sucking some juice?
ok well thanks for the help. im gonna get a test meter and check out what its doin.i mean it looks pretty old maybe the orginal one so i wouldnt be suprised if it was going bad.

yesi have a lil system but while its on it doesnt dim my lights while driving. i dnt really turn it up tht much and i also have a lil battier in the back.....
but thanks for the help ima check it and see what its doing

Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 AM
4th Gear Member

i think its normal, my 3.8 camaro does it all the time. (new batt and alt. too)

Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

My 02 started doing this to me too. It happened when I would start to brake. I would check your battery terminals. I replaced the copper terminals as mine were all disformed and corroded. They was a god awful mess of corrosion everywhere on them. Ever since I got my new terminals and sprayed them with WD-40, I have not had the problem.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Overdrive Member

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=108

You might try this as well. The drop down menu has Camaro listed don't worry. Helped my car out a bit. Also, like Failed Devicessaid, check battery terminals for corrosion.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...&catid=108

You might try this as well. The drop down menu has Camaro listed don't worry. Helped my car out a bit. Also, like Failed Devicessaid, check battery terminals for corrosion.
I need to get me one of those.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: battery gauge keeps dropping

It is cheap, easy to install, and helps stop the voltage from moving around too much. Of course it is something you could make yourself. There are two other wires you can upgrade to help out as well, battery negative to chassis and engine ground to chassis. They call all them together, the Big 3.