93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Audio Help

I need some help from those knowledgeable about the stock audio systems. I have a 99 v6 camaro and last year i replaced the stock stereo. But recently Ive been looking into buying speakers. Somewhere I read that the middle speakers were made bass from the amplifier. Only problem is they are really annoying and contribute nothing to the car especially since they are blown and rattle. Because of that Ive been trying to figure out what kind of amp I needed to make the middle a regular speaker. So I talked to the people at crutchfield.com they said I didnt need an amp and that my car wasnt supposed to have one. But I do have one behind the spare tire its a stock amp (Delphi i think). Also I have 6 speakers with the rpo code UZ7. My stock head unit did not say monsoon or anything other than delco electronics. Do I have monsoon? Also there was an extra electrical connecter that hooked up to the stock headunit that was not utilized for the aftermarket one. Does anyone know what its for? Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

the head unit will say monsoon right on the front if it is, but from my understanding if you have the 6 speaker setup then that is the monsoon system, someone prolly just took the head unit out, your best be is to go aftermarket on everything, the monsoon system is very costly, but idk what ur talking about with this middle speaker? middle where? there shoud be to in each door, two by the rear seats and two in the hatch and no there shouldnt be an amp, the monsoon system has a built in mini amp in the headunit as far as i know, i know its alot higher amp stereo than most stock stereos

Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Are you saying the speakers are re-wired for lows? or that they only put out lows?
because there are aftermarket low-tone speakers, or the mid/high could be filtered out, or the speakers could be bad...

as for the speakers, hook em up and see what comes out... if it's not what you wanna hear, just rip it all out and put new stuff in.
however, if you hook it up, and everything works, don't worry about the loose plug in the back, it was probably for an aftermarket CD changer or an HD radio...

I agree with Dark Knight, your best bet is to just re-do it all, and absolutely love the way it sounds when you're done... I also suggest getting a small Sony X-plode 10in subwoofer. they're well built, cheap, and they add some pretty nice, but not too insane bass. as for speakers, go to best buy and listen to them before you buy them. everyone has a different taste...

P.S. I've done a lot with car audio... I have a custom 4225 watt system in my Firebird.

Edit: I just realized I never clearly answered your question, haha. The loose wire, is most likely for an aftermarket cd changer, the monsoon's were available with that option. and if it has 6 speakers, it's monsoon. The "base model" system only had 4 speakers... unless 2 were added, which is fairly simple, then it gets tricky...

Last edited by BigCat2010; 11-29-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: got off topic...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The middle speakers are the ones in the back seats quarter panels. Im pretty sure everything is stock. The original headunit used the extra wire connector. But for the new stereo it didnt have a place for it. Only thing I noticed with the new stereo was that it didnt seem to have as deep a bass from the speakers. But the "middle" speakers seem to be only able to play mid bass. They will not play highs or regular sound only really unnoticeable lows/mid. I even put the rear panel speakers in their place and they also played this low/mid range. So its not the speakers but something with the amp I think. anyone know for sure?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well whatever is sending the signal is only sending the lows... does the amp had a switch to change from lpf/fpf/hpf? or something along those lines? maybe a crossover? that would be filtering all of the high and mid range sounds out...

Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes

No the amp is just a box no switches at all just has one side that is whether the body connector connects. I think Im going to replace the amp and wire the front and rear seat speakers to a new amp. and have the rear sail panels run off the head unit. But I have a question, if the front and middle speakers have an rms of 40 per each speaker. Is it better to use a amp rated at 40 rms x4 or 60 rms x4. Specifically which is better?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610ZX...10ZX350-4.html
or
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC6...-KAC-6404.html

The guy at crutchfeild said the 40 rms amp was better but most people say to have a little more than what the speakers run at. Any input? Thanks already for all the help.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

The price difference in the amps doesnt bother me too much because I like the way the 60x 4 amp sounded in bestbuy it was much louder and cleaner than the others. Also it has bass boost which the other doesnt.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Overdrive Member

OK if you have the amp behind the spare tire that is the Monsoon amp. It was only used with the monsoon system. The non Monsoon and Monsoon head units were the same with the exception of a monsoon logo on the Monsoon deck. The extra plug was for the factory CD changer. The other end of that plug should be wrapped up near the left rear speaker.

The Monsoon system is actually 8 speakers powered by 4 channels from the amp. There are 2 crossovers built in for the tweeters and the mids in the rear. The rear speakers and subs fade the same and the tweeters and front mids fade the same. (hence 4 channels). To use the rear seat speakers locations with normal full range speakers you simply need to rewire the amps outputs. I did this on mine and the only drawback is you lose the very back speakers, but you leave the rear locations set up for Subs. I just found schematics online for the stereo system and moved the sub and rear channel locations.

Now if you go with some aftermarket speakers in the front location you will have 2 sets of inputs. One is for tweets and one is for full range. Make sure you use the full range set for the aftermarket speakers. (wires going to the 6"speaker) if you want to add a tweeter to the door then use the tweeter channel.

Hope this helps

Massey

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That does help. Thanks. Does that mean the front door has 2 speakers in each?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by JeepGuy12
That does help. Thanks. Does that mean the front door has 2 speakers in each?
Yes, They look like 2way speakers that you would get aftermaket but they are actually 2 seperate speakers with 2 independant signals going into them. They are on the same channel in the amp but are managed with a crossover to seperate the high tones for the tweeter.

Massey

Quick Reply: Audio Help