93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Ah more problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Default Ah more problems...

So I'll be installing a new starter soon but now...

Whenever I start up my car it'll make sounds like somethings not hitting right... 0-1 rpm it won't accelerate and not until 2k it starts moving.

Also like I said when I'm slowing down for a red light, when it drops rpms it'll start shaking and make the gargling noise and my battery gauge starts going crazy (lights start dimming and so on) until I give it some gas then everything works for a second...

Now I was thinking spark plugs or alternator ??

blah any help with this headache will be much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:51 AM
In the Staging Lanes

did you check for a vacum leak it would have to be pretty bad but its a possiblility

Old 02-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Could we have some clue what year and engine size we are working on? Gargling? really? Check you voltage when its "Gargling" and then when whe everything is working. It kind sounds like your car is loading up (getting to much fuel) but it is real hard to tell with your description.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like multiple issues, including a bad alternator.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:07 AM

My bad it's a 2000 camaro 3.8 v6

I was half awake when I wrote that (my apologies lol) but yah the sound it's making kinda sounds like I have a cam (which I dont) then when i get around 5mph it starts jerking back and forth and does that sound, and lights start dimming etc.

Today was the first time my car had completely shut off while driving but I was able to start it back up.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have the car scanned for trouble codes before unhooking the battery. clean the battery terminals and the battery cable ends with a wire brush. take the alt out and have it tested.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am thinking the alternator is not the problem. There has been no mention of the battery going dead. I think the motor is loading up and coming close to stalling. The lights fading are a result of the low RPMs not the cause of them. That would mean if we can fix why the motor is stalling or almost stalling the power issue will take care of itself. Is the check engine light on? It could be a lot of things. Stuck EGR valve comes to mind, dirty injectors. How old are the plugs and wires?

Course this is all a guess.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:37 AM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a MAF sensor to me. Have you had the codes checked? That will likely point you in the right direction.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Many automotive stores (like O'Reillys) will scan your car, test your battery and alternator for FREE, do that first.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 PM

So here we go... My friend got me a good connection so I got it scanned for free and hopefully getting this fixed really soon...

I had to go to work so we couldn't really look at it 100% but basically it's either the O2 Sensors, MAF sensor or the alternator

(by the way i'll keep this up to date, but thanks for all the help guys)

Quick Reply: Ah more problems...