93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Advice on buying this Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Default RE: Advice on buying this Camaro

Yea i thought it would be in better condition and i dont know why i couldnt see over the seats were like lower then ive ever seen in a car before.. about an hour and a half from me is a 94 with like 6k less miles in it and considering the one at the dealer would need a new fender anyways, this one has a replacement for the cracked one on the car plus its 2800 dollars

Old 04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66
Thats a pretty fair price considering they go for close to 7,000 KBB..
$7,000 for a '96 RS in KBB? I have a pretty good idea what those guys smoke for inspiration.
2.5 years ago I sold my near-cherry '96 Z28 Convert., 80k miles for $8500. It was in the fall, so I probably could have gotten at least $9k if it was the summer. And that's real-life street value. Two years previous, I paid $11k for that car, with much less miles on it of course. Blue book value and what they're really selling for on the street are two totally different things, especially in this crunched market. That car is no deal!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:59 PM
4th Gear Member

dude, i work at a dealership. I put the prices into the computer vs KBB and i see how dealerships price their cars. If the car is in "excellent" condition an RS with 77K and a5spd goes for roughly 7000. My guess is the car has been on the lot for more than a month or maybe more and they have lowered the price or they could be having a spring sale. What most likely happens is the dealership got it in on a trade and the previous owner had it paid off and owned it in full, they mark it up to a certain value and then have no problem lowering the price if it doesnt sell in the 1st month and they can lower it to what they want circa the KBB value and still make money off of it.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I know how dealers work... er operate! Since you work at a dealership, you know darn well that whoever traded that car in (and bought new) got it up the ***![:@]
Now consider the condition of the car...a large scrape in the fender and some sun damage/rust issues. I can just imagine how the salesman knocked the **** out of that car to the P.O. It needs at the least a repaired/repainted fender to get it looking somewhat decent, and that's hoping for a perfect color match. I have seen cars with a repainted panel that sticks out like a sore thumb. To do it completely right, the whole side of the car would want to get re-shot.
I'm sure they could sell that car in the $4's and still make money.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:33 AM
4th Gear Member

I still say that 5,200 for a 96 RS isnt a surprisingly high price from a dealership... theres areason why i cant afford any of the cars on my lot... believe me i tried.. my General Manager told me hed offer me 5,000 as a trade in on my Camaro... i wasnt interested because they dont have a Trans Am and the only car on the lot that i really truelly want is 24K (06 Saleen S281 clone with 9k miles)

Old 04-10-2008, 12:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This car sounds like it sat around a lot. All that sun damage also indicates that it's always been outside. Did you get underneath this thing? I'm not sure what area of the country your in but camaros in some areas really pay being out in the weather. Check the rocker panels as that's usually the first place to get hit with rust. As far as price goes that's probably pretty close. Like others have said you may be able to knock a couple hundred off but that's about it. Take a good look at the car inside and out. If you really really want it ask if a repair person of your own choosing can have a look at it and bring it there for a once over to find problems you may have missed. Open the radiator cap and check for bars leaks(brown goop used to stop head gasket leaks temporarily). Check the oil on the dipstick. Is it golden or is it black. What's the brake fluid level. Is it where it should be or is it low. If it's low then you probably have worn brakes. Tires in good condition? Even with relatively low miles you gotta check the whole thing over before you decide you want it. Don't buy the thing, then get it home and discover all kinds of new things wrong with it. This is supposed to be a fun experience and it can be with proper preparation and realistic expectations. It's a used car that's over a decade old. There's going to be things wrong with it. Decide whether you can live with those things before you grab it. Camaros are great cars. I love mine. They are also suprisingly very reliable long term and pretty easy to work on. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 04-10-2008, 01:34 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TomS68

pretty easy to work on. Good luck on your decision.
Lol what year camaro are you working on? My Lt1 is by far one ofthe most crammed engines ive ever seen on a domestic.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

pretty easy to work on. Good luck on your decision.
Lol what year camaro are you working on? My Lt1 is by far one ofthe most crammed engines ive ever seen on a domestic.
The RS model is a V-6, not a crammed V-8 Lt1.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Exactly I've got a 3.4 V6 and yeah there is ample room under the cowl for it. Course it's not as easy to get at as a 70's vintage Camaro engine because the engine is half shoved under the cowling but as far as modern vehicles it's shall we say "spartan" in comparison.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Exactly I've got a 3.4 V6 and yeah there is ample room under the cowl for it. Course it's not as easy to get at as a 70's vintage Camaro engine because the engine is half shoved under the cowling but as far as modern vehicles it's shall we say "spartan" in comparison.

Thanks,

Tom
What....? its "Spartan" in comparison? that doesnt even make sense...

Quick Reply: Advice on buying this Camaro