93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Acceleration/Idling issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Default Acceleration/Idling issues...

This is my first post! okay so i bought my 95 camaro about 2 weeks ago and its been running just fine. Just a few days ago i started it up just like normal and it started shaking and vibrating my whole car pretty significantly. Now it always idles pretty rough and shaky and sometimes it takes 2 tries to get it started. Then i went to put it in gear (Automatic) and when i slam the gas pedal it barely accelerates. it takes me about 20 seconds to hit 60. the rpm's increase very slowly, and its also taking longer than usual to shift. the day before all that started happening i put a full tank of premium in for the first time since ive owned it, not sure if that could be affecting it. So i replaced the spark plugs and it still happens. i took it to a shop today and they replaced the muffler (Hole in the side) and the TPS. still hasnt changed. they suggested i come back to get the exhaust gas sensor (I believe) replaced... any ideas would be very appreciated.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Droid

The shaking you mention is usually the result of misfire, probably an ignition problem, but could also be a fuel problem. How did the plugs look when you changed them? Did it run OK before you gassed up, or did you just fill up with premium hoping it would fix things?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like there was some water in the gas

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by z28pete
The shaking you mention is usually the result of misfire, probably an ignition problem, but could also be a fuel problem. How did the plugs look when you changed them? Did it run OK before you gassed up, or did you just fill up with premium hoping it would fix things?
The spark plugs were decently black and a little corroded. and it was running perfectly normal before i put in the premium. i just figured id run a tank of premium for a change.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:49 AM

also i forgot to mention there was a lot of liquid coming out of my exhaust but its back to normal since they put on the new muffler. and the gas smells really rich at idle.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bepps95_3.4
also i forgot to mention there was a lot of liquid coming out of my exhaust but its back to normal since they put on the new muffler. and the gas smells really rich at idle.
mine is pretty much doing the same thing. misfires when trying to accel, and when at idle..and the dam thing has no acceleration at times..im lost

Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change the fuel filter and when you take it out dump the contents (from the tank side) into a clear container so you can see what it looks like. may have water in it. water in fuel can cause old injectors to fail. have the injectors ever been cleaned and tested? may be a good time to have that done.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by craby
change the fuel filter and when you take it out dump the contents (from the tank side) into a clear container so you can see what it looks like. may have water in it. water in fuel can cause old injectors to fail. have the injectors ever been cleaned and tested? may be a good time to have that done.
I tried to get the fuel filter off before but I know you're supposed to kill the fuel pump relay before you do it but I can't find it. And I've only had the car for like 3 weeks I'm not sure if they've been cleaned or tested

Old 12-26-2011, 10:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bepps95_3.4
I tried to get the fuel filter off before but I know you're supposed to kill the fuel pump relay before you do it but I can't find it. And I've only had the car for like 3 weeks I'm not sure if they've been cleaned or tested
you Dnt have to... just Dnt get your face to close and disconnect the front line first

Old 12-26-2011, 07:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

need to use a fuel line disconnect tool to get one side off the filter. look at number 32 on the list here, 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Quick Reply: Acceleration/Idling issues...