93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

96 need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Angry 96 need help bad

ok so i bought a 96 camaro . they said it was overheating and when i pulled the oil dipstick it was milky so i think its a blown head gasket. then i drained the oil and i took out two gals of water out of the oil pan then oil came out milky. so i tried to start the camaro and it wont start so i backed the crank by hand and it turned over but it sounded like a rod . so i took off the oil pan and turned the motor by hand but it wont make a full turn. i took out the spark plugs and it truns over very easy so i need help on what is wrong with my 96 camaro

Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I hope you knew these things before paying for the car, and got it for next to nothing, because it needs an engine replacement. The engine was hydro-locked. That means coolant in the cylinder(s), and water doesn't compress, which is why it wouldn't turn over completely.
Overheating, it hydro-locked, 2 gallons (holy crap) of water from the oil pan, and a knocking noise. Sorry, but the previous owner ruined the engine.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
3rd Gear Member

Good luck with that can of worms.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check out the sticky for replacments engines. It gives details on what cars you can get motors from, there are alot. FYI once you run a motor with coolant in the oil it is done. Every bearing in the motor is ruined. They are not worth repairing. Add in the hydro lock and you now have the makings of a nice coffee table or about $30 worth scrap.