93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 v-6 to v-8

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Default 95 v-6 to v-8

I have a 95 3.4 i was wanting to switch it to a 383 stroker carburated. I was wondering would having it carburated, will it even fit under the hood since half the engine will be under the dash? Is it worth all the work? thanks

Old 12-12-2005, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 95 v-6 to v-8

From what I have read on here... I would say its not worth it. It will cost a lot. It would be cheaper to just get a V-8. I read some figures like 5 grand... and if you sold your car you could get a v-8 for just a few grand more. And you get everything that comes with the v-8. including the insurance.....

Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 AM
2nd Gear member

I agree with Bubonic. You can do anything if you are determined enough, and someone no doubt makes a manifold and carb set up to fit, or you could do it regardless with enough determination, money, and time.

but going from a 3.4 L V6 to a 383 stroker will involve a lot. One issue will be the fit. Another will be the weight (you'll need heavier springs, shocks, sway bar up front. A thid will be the accerory drives -- brackets for the AC, power steering, etc., and hoses, belts etc to relocate them right -- you can get all the parts at a surplus yard but they won't come with your stroker. Finally, you have to hook it up to your trans and your rear end will not like the added torque for long. Then, too, if you have to pass emissions, you're doomed: Not a chance with a carbed 383 in a '95 unless you put on big cats to really clean it up (and clog it up, a carbed stroker won't like the back pressure) and lean it out which is dangerous, particularly in a carbed car, because you can burn pistons -- even then I'd only bet even money you could pass.

Finally, are you SURE you want a carburated engine? Have you ever lived with one? Driveability is not as good as FI. Ever fussed with one? If you're my generation and have taken apart and rebuilt gobs of Holley,s Carters, even SUs and Strombergs, then they won't be more than a real pain in the butt, but it you haven't, you're in for more headaches than it is worth.

Finally, it will be thirsty: A 383 stroker with a carb in you Camaro would get only two thirds (if you are lucky) to half the fuel economy you get right now.

You would do much better to fix you car so it is attractive, sell it, and buy something with a fuel injected V8, even if its rough, as a starting point.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Lee. It's more problems than it's worth unless you're going to totally gut the thing and turn it into a drag car.

If you sell it, you'll probably be able to pick up a V8 model for much less than you would actually end up spending doing the swap.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:35 PM

I just called yesterday to a local F-Body shop and asked if they did engine swaps, which they do. Then I mentioned that I have a V6 camaro and wanted a Z28 engin swap. The tech told me it was way too much work and was too costly. Its not worth it. Everyone recommends just purchasing a V8.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 94 3.4L and was wanting to swap out for a V8 as well until I read these replies. The only thing I was wondering is, if swapping out for the stock 5.7L LT1 or so would be the same amount of headache as well or worse? If not what kinds of upgrades are there for our V6's out there? Thanks for any and all replies!! Love the forums.

Jason G.