93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

95 camaro nothing but problems plz HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Default 95 camaro nothing but problems plz HELP

alright i bought a 95 camaro here are my issues...
brights dont always turn on.
blinkers do nothing at all just replaced flasher still nothing.
my heater or ac dont work it seems like the ***** get no power but light up.
the radiator fan dont turn on just overheats.
and yea help plz anyone thanks

Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Overdrive Member

OK this is a few issues going on here and most are pretty simple.

Brights... The switch is on the column about 1/2 way down located near the ignition switch. There is an adjustment here that can be made if needed, Also if the column wobbles at the base then that needs to be corrected before any adjustment will be successful. To fix the wobble if you have it you will need to disassemble the whole column to get to the 4 bolts that clamp the head of the column to the shaft.

Blinkers... Try replacing bulbs when I lose a bulb mine stop flashing and the light on the dash just stays on.

Heater and A/C... are you talking about the fan motor? If so then there are 2 things that are common causes of no fan. If you get only one or two speeds and not the others then that is usually the blower motor resistor. This is located under the dash on the passenger's side, near the blower motor. This little guy controls the speed of the motor and gets nice and hot. It is in the blower's air stream to keep it cool. If you get no fan what so ever then I would look into the blower motor itself. You can test it pretty easy after you take it out of the heater box by applying 12V to the terminals and seeing if it comes on. If it does it is good, if not then head to your favorite parts store. The resistor can also be had at most part stores and GM.

The radiator fan is kinda the same as the heater fan issue. There is a thermo fan switch that is located either on the block or in the radiator and it turns the fan on and off. These things die from time to time. To test this find the correct sensor (Chilton's books can help locate the correct temp sensor) and short the terminals on the wiring harness. If the fan turns on then the thermo fan switch is bad. (removing this sensor will cause water to leave the engine so make sure to capture it properly.) If the fans do not come on then remove them and apply 12V to the terminals of the fan and see if they come on. If they do I would check the fan wiring if they don't then replace the fans. (again go to your fav part store)

I hope this helps you out. Don't get too discouraged about the problems these are normal things that wear out on cars over time and need to be periodically replaced.

Massey

Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Default hmm

alright sooo i checked for voltage at the blinker fuse and theres nothing with them on or off still nothing and the cars running so idk whats up theres then theres a fuse to the left which is a 25v fuse which says hvu or hsu cant remember but that has no power either should they always have power or no.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Overdrive Member

did you check the voltage with the fuse in or out? If you checked with the fuse in there will be no voltage since the voltage will follow the path of least resistance and there is no resistance in the fuse but quite a bit in the volt meter. Also because the nature of the blinker circuit you need a quality, and fast meter to read the voltages when it is on. most meters will just flash or show nothing since the meter cannot read the voltage long enough to show on the screen. Also turn the hazard flashers on. If they work and the outside lights all work then the problem may just be a worn switch in the colunm.

Massey

Old 05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Default k

alright see i was thinking that column switch is worn out but is that a pain to tear apart idk even were to start on it and then the hazards do work. i just dont get why none of the heater or ac stuff works that fan dont turn on nor does the ac compressor kick on im starting to think this car is cursed.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check and clean your power connections at the battery to start with. wire brush the battery terminals and cable ends, then turn to the power junction box, (red plastic box on the passenger side wheelwell) take the wires lose and clean the heck outa them as well. on to the ground junction and it should be next to the power junction box. take them lose and clean them too. next is the ground connections on the engine block. on the lt1 there is a ground on the driver side front of the motor, this is the ecm system ground, check the wires and connections and clean if it looks like they could use it. there is another ground on the passenger side front of the motor by the belt tensioner and one by the starter. have a look at them as well. check all your fuses in both fuse boxes. u have one under the hood and one inside the car. do u have a alarm system or other aftermarket goodies hooked up? are they working?

Last edited by craby; 05-07-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by zblad
alright i bought a 95 camaro here are my issues...

im starting to think this car is cursed.
Or just not well maintained. All of our cars would be like this if we did not fix the little stuff as it arises. It could be there is some old ball thing problem causing your issues but most likely they are a little things that have been let go by the previous owner.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by zblad
alright see i was thinking that column switch is worn out but is that a pain to tear apart idk even were to start on it and then the hazards do work. i just dont get why none of the heater or ac stuff works that fan dont turn on nor does the ac compressor kick on im starting to think this car is cursed.
First the column switch is not that hard to replace but you will need a special tool to remove the lock plate. This tool is not too expensive, and you can get it at your local O'Reilly's. The biggest thing you need to be careful with is the airbag coil. This must be carefully removed and installed to keep from blowing the bag or breaking the wires inside the coil.

Coil removal:
align the wheels straight ahead
Disconnect battery and wait 1/2 hour at least
remove air bag and disconnect the yellow wires
remove wheel
Remove the snap ring that retains the coil
disconnect the wires for the coil (yellow) under the dash to allow the coil to be lifted up the column shaft.
lift coil up column and let hang once it is free of the shaft
next you will be greeted with the locking plate. This needs the tool that pushes the plate down so you can remove the little metal ring that retains the plate. 2 small flat screwdrivers will remove the ring just fine. do not mangle this ring you NEED it.
the next thing you will see is the turn signal switch. It is held in with 3 phillips screws and 2 other screws that hold the lever on the turn signal lever and the hazard switch. remove them all and unplug the switch from under the dash.
Fish the wires up through the column until they are free of the channel (you may have to use a screwdriver or something like that to line the plug up to be pulled out. Also tilting the column up and down sometimes helps).

Reassemble the column reverse of the way you took it apart.

To install the switch make sure that the wires are not twisted when you feed the plug down the column, you will not be able to untwist it later.
DO NOT spin the coil when you are putting it back in. It should just line back up the way it came off.

I hope this helps.

Also you can try the new switch by plugging it into the column under the dash before you take everything apart to make sure you are not wasting time.

Massey

Old 05-09-2010, 02:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heres were the dimmer switch is. theres a arm that goes down the column
Name:  P3130040.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  68.0 KB
heres a wiring diagram for a 93 should be the same as yours.
Name:  dashdimmerwireing1.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  61.1 KBName:  dashdimmerwireing2.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  74.1 KB