93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

94 Camaro It's A CHEVY

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Default 94 Camaro It's A CHEVY

The car is a 1994 Chevy Camaro w/ a brand new 3.4L Crate motor with a cam installed. My dad bought this for me in christmas and I've been in love with it until....2 weeks ago. I was coming back from Taco bell I even put the seat belt around the bag of un-eaten tacos to be safe... and was drag racing a Mazda on the highway and when we got up around 50 MPH and stepped on it my motor sounded like it was getting too much air and it wasn't going as fast as usual. I usually run 0-80 in a certain distance but the same distance i ran only 0-70.. and barely 70... I think its the stupid o2 sensor but some mechanics say it could actually be a lot of things. Autozone says it could be a fuel..pressurizer? Yeah that thing.... Some mechanics tell me it is a o2 sensor because it's louder and not going as fast.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

O2 sensor should set a code (SES lite). Also it depends on what got louder. Normally when a Cat plugs up the car does not get louder but the rest of what you described is perfect for a pluged Cat.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 PM

When the car is warm and it sits there and idles it idles like a drag racer... you know from 350 RPMs or so up to 1500 and constantly just lopey idling.. this is not a drag racer lol

IF you run the hell out of the car and never let up on the gas all is well except you wont be going as fast as you should

but if you casual drive around and since it goes just about anywhere at 1500 revs then it kinda dies...

When you put it to the floor instead of sounding like a camaro im saying a deeper toned lambo actually >.>. But if it is a plugged up cat how do you get it unplugged? I already tried holding it to the floor for a while.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Gorn is right. I have the exact same problem, except that my Z28 sounds like a derby car now. Actually, more like something out of a junkyard.

My problem is when I put my foot down its as if the engine chokes up. I hear some weird sound "ta ta ta ta" and it won't move till I get my foot off the gas pedal. I got owned by a Ford F150, a Mercedes C280, and even an old A5 because of this problem. At first I thought its my rear end coming loose. Then I found out it was the cats. Look em up in ebay, you'll find some pretty cheap ones. If you're in California lemme know I'll find you california legal ones.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cat is just a guess, If it is pluged you have to replace it or hollow it out. It could still be your fuel system or ignition system. No SES lite?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Better take it to an autoshop to know what really is the prob...

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Seems like it could also be operator head space and timing. Just a thought.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Cat is just a guess, If it is pluged you have to replace it or hollow it out. It could still be your fuel system or ignition system. No SES lite?

The service engine light always came on since we bought it but we thought it was an EGR valve which the dealer did replace for free but it still came on and my dad agreed he would fix it ( beginning to think that was a mistake ).

It is not a cat plugged up my dad assured me of that. We already have an appointment for it to go to a autoshop this friday but if its something small i can fix myself Ill just do it myself. I really think its either an oxygen sensor or that fuel pressurelizer they were talking about.

Anyone else think it might be the plugs and wires? >.> But i dont think that makes it idle that choppy...

Old 06-11-2009, 02:17 PM

If anyone would like an actual video of the car when it does idle choppy and how it is now please contact me. I would youtube it but i cant find a good video converter and I dont know how to upload on youtube.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:08 AM

It was the cat. Converter. Everytime you put it to the floor it was blowing that junk out of the exhaust thats why it ran good then. We took the cat off and are replacing it and now my dad is putting dual exhaust on it to make it sound at least half decent (not rapsy at high RPMs either). Straight Pipes make the difference