93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3rd gear shifting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Arrow 3rd gear shifting problem.

Hello everyone,

I have a 1996 A4 RS camaro featuring the mighty 3.8 Series II engine, i'm going to explain the problem as you've already read in the title. Whenever my car has to shift from the 2nd gear to the 3rd gear i get some kind of lag, the engine keeps revving hitting 6k rpm and going back to 5k rpm around 2-3 times before it shifts to 3rd.

Note : this problem only occurs when shifting to from the 2nd gear to the 3rd gear on wide open throttle, whenever i'm driving normally i don't get this problem, it shifts just fine. Can anyone please help me and point me to what is wrong in my car? I tried shifting using 1, 2 then 3 but no use aswell. any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

//Zaid

Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Clutchs are shot and can not handle the torque. They amy have failed because of a seal but it does not matter. I forsee a transmission rebuild or replacment in your near future.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 PM

oh crap that's what i feared , i guess no more WOT from now on, untill i get a new ls1, thanks for the reply, i just hoped that it would be a computer issue but seems its not. Thanks for the reply aswell.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 AM
4th Gear Member

TCC is dead and gone. Wooooooo. Replace the TC or you're gonna be rebuilding the whole trans.

And I've done it once, working on twice now :P Price of having ****ty torque converters yay.

Last edited by evilkal; 12-07-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by evilkal
TCC is dead and gone. Wooooooo. Replace the TC or you're gonna be rebuilding the whole trans.

And I've done it once, working on twice now :P Price of having ****ty torque converters yay.
how much would that cost and how long would it take to be replaced? ? do you think it would be hard to find ? I live in Dubai btw. i'm just mad because the problem only occurs at the third gear.

Anyway Here's a pic of my car , i thought i should share .

Name:  DSC_0029.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  265.9 KB

This red one is my RS and the black one is my friend's 1998 camaro LS1 A4 z/28.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

TCC is not engage at WOT. It is only engaged at light load at cruising speeds. I am not an automatic transmission expert but I have rebuilt several 700R4 and I fail to see how torqur converter can cause high RPM slipage. Based on their design if it slips at high RPMs it should be real bad at low RPMs.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:53 AM

well i had a similar thought, if the TCC is damaged, why does it ONLY do so when shifting from the second gear to the third?

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear member

i agree with Gorn, ur clutches seem shot, i had the same thing happen in my Suburban when shifting from 3rd to 4th, but that was my fault for romping the hell out of a hockey-mom car lol, i got a jasper rebuilt tranny from my junk yard for like $400 and it lasted longer than the rest of the car lol

Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't junk the transmission just yet. Are you getting any error codes, although you may not? Your problem could be with the 2-3 shift solenoid on the valve body. The 2-3 solenoid is the one on the passenger side. The 1-2 solenoid (and 4th shares it as well), is the one on the drivers side. If it's messing up, it can make your trans shift funky. What you're experiencing might not be the clutches slipping at all, but the solenoid not allowing an upshift, or trying to, but keeping it in a lower gear (gear searching and high rpm's). Do an online search for diagnostics. Basically you want to make sure there is power going to the solenoid, that the ground wire from the PCM is working, and that the solenoid itself isn't bad. If your clutches were worn out and slipping, I would expect you to have that happening when you jump hard on the throttle from a start.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-07-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

yeah i forgot about the solenoid lol that happened to my mom's mini-van and the shop we took it to wanted to replace the whole tranny, said it was useless (we just didnt feel like working on a car in winter) but said screw it and changed the soleniod ourselves, not too hard, i just wish my 'burban was so lucky lol

Quick Reply: 3rd gear shifting problem.