93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.8 issues help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Default 3.8 issues help please

ok ive posted this before but it has gotten different.. ok i had it in the shop for 7 hours they replaced some sensors hooked up some vacume lines but i ran out of money and they couldnt figure out y it was still stuttering they even changed the computer still nothing.. they did say my egr valve was bad and wasnt conected but they said it wouldnt cause whats going on.. they said its putting to much fuel into the engine and making it stutter.. now sometimes when i press the gas i hear a pop and if im on the gas it will stop then start accelerating again.. i was told that it was from all the gas finally lighting and popping in one of the cylinders and i dont want to drive it casue they said it could mess my motor up.. anyone have any opinions on what this could be.. its a 96 camaro with a 97 rs 3.8 in it i had a guy change it and i was told he didnt hook alot of stuff up but it also did it to the last motor i was told its not the engine or tranny they checked it out it has to do with something already in the car or something like that! idk im lost!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Did they get any codes or just shotgun it with your dime? First off, you need to make sure that everything is connected the right way, including any vac lines. If you don't have a repair manual, invest the $25 in one. They have all of the wiring and vac drawings for reference. The EGR valve could be causing a backfire issue. Need to get codes scanned to know what direction to troubleshoot.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are a limited amount of things that can go wrong with a motor. Mind you that limit is very high (meaning a lot of things) but there is a limit. When you introduce someone who does not know what he is doing was involved in a major repair the amount of things that can go wrong are limitless.
Your decription of the problem is very poor. Add in the fact that a mechainc had the car in his shop for 7 hours and did not figure it out the chance someone here is going to be able to help you is slim. Can I assume since the mechanic knew the motor was loading up ( Your words "putting to much fuel into the engine and making it stutter") That he had a scan tool. Can I also assume the reason he tried the new computer is because it was loading up and not throwing any codes? The computer system is designed to detect normal failures. Once you introduce possible spliced wires or incorrect parts there simple no way to plan for all those possible error. So your computer is most likey seeing something the orginal programmers never thought possible. Course all that is just a guess.

Originally Posted by osduck5
The EGR valve could be causing a backfire issue. Need to get codes scanned to know what direction to troubleshoot.
Nice call, It would also show rich on the scanner. A pluged Cat will can cause a simular issue. The EGR Valve is pretty easy to test a mechanic would really have to be weak to have not pulled the EGR valve and verified it was sealing.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-18-2010 at 09:48 PM.