93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

3.4L Engine Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Default 3.4L Engine Swap?

Hello everyone, i'm new and have a few questions, if you don't mind helping me out.

I currently own a 1994 Camaro 3.4L, when I bought the car I knew that most likely the engine was not all there. Well, it finally went out. As oppose to pulling the engine, and testing to see what is wrong with it, I opted to remove the engine and replace it with another V6, and then pass it along to my son. I figure it'll be a nice decently perky sporty car for him to drive to and from college and what not. As such, i'm not wanting to put a bunch of super performance parts in it right now, just some small things to maybe, improve the overall feel of the car, its responsiveness and maybe improve upon the V6 without sacraficing the gas milage, or going over board. With that being said:

1) Do you think it would be good to replace the stock 3400 series with a 3800 series? It'll give a small performance boost, and if I recall correctly the 3800 has a few more performance upgrades available, if that ever becomes his priority. Prices on the two motors, from local pricing, seems similar, is this a straight swap? If not, what must be replaced in order for the engine swap to go smoothly?

2) What could possibly be done to the new engine, before its installed that would improve performance? Keep in mind, i'm trying to do this on a budget, not an insanely small or large one, and at this moment I don't have a solid figure to toss around.

3) Any aftermarket parts, that should be considered? Something like...a cold air induction or the like?

4) He's hell bent on installing some sort of aftermarket exhaust system, i've warned him that going for merely the sound could land him in more trouble than its worth. If nothing else more notice from the wrong people, and the performance losses of installing a high flow system with an engine that cannot benefit from it. Confirmation of whether or not my fears are in vain, and / or suggestions on a new exhaust setup would be ideal.

Thanks for any and all help, hopefuly my ramblings aren't in vain.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 3.4L Engine Swap?

IMO replacing th 3.4 with a 3.8 is an execise in futility. For less work you can put in a LT1 V8. The 3.4 and 3.8 are totally different engines, and the 94 Camaros were set up to accept either the 3.4 or the 5.7 LT1. To stuff in a 3.8 will require a lot of work, and at the end the car would still not be near the performer that the LT1 will.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:27 AM
1st Gear Member

1. Incorrect. Thanks to what is out there for the FWD 3400 v6, there is PLENTY for the 3.4L if you want to basically rebuild an engine. The aluminum head/intake swap from the FWD 3.4 to the iron head 3.4L is gaining popularity and it is little more than a bolt-on, but you need to change pistons.

Read all this forum:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...splay.php?f=27

The FWD 3.8 has a supercharger and that's about all.

That answers all your other questions, in fact.

Good luck.

Of course, like I have found out, with an equally dead 3.4L car and few decent for the cost 3.4L engines around, I figure the LT1 swap with smart shopping won't cost much, if any, more than another redone semi-rare v6 by itself. Scary thought.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:10 PM

Alright everyone thanks for the suggestions and advice. I was not aware that the 3800 wasn't compatible without much if any work. We'll probably have to go with another 3.4L for now, and maybe something like the LT1 later on in the cars life. I don't think he could afford to drive a V8 what with gas and insurance, especially at his age. This is what i'm thinking, modification wise:

1) Drop another 3.4L engine in it, and possibly change a few things internally with the engine. Any links to modifications to the 3400 are appreciated, i'm trying to look up most of what you mentioned Alfred, more information would also be appreciated. Hoping to add more bang, while maintaining the V6 for insurance (much more so) / fuel consumption reasons.

2) K & N Filter, Exhaust (Suggestions?), Cold Air Intake, Other Small Modifications

3) Replace the tires, fix problems with the interior, etc.... Just to put the car back to like new conditions.

The only bad thing about this, is that at the moment I don't have the time or the space available to really do much of anything to the car. I've found fairly good quotes on the asthetic portion of the work needed, and we're looking around for a low mileage 3400. As stated though, i'm not a real gear head, so suggestions on how to get my money's worth with the modifications that can be done to make a non-track car perform better, are very much appreciated.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Russell is working on the how-to for the top end swap. He did this 5 years ago(!), so it has to come back to him.

I have not checked with him lately, so if you are that into this, get a hold of him. He will answer everything you can toss at him that he can answer.

He is using Megasquirt to take care of the tuning for the top end swap. Probably not the best thing if you on a budget, but the factory computer will work okay to get by.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

http://camaro.adwire.com/modpics/

Pics of 3400 top end swap.

Little tight on the fit, but it does fit.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Tech Droid

FYI the newer intake from the 3500 will fit on the 3400 heads and give a little more flow. The only sad thing is that roller cams cannot be usesd in the 3.4 because GM saw it fit to put in a retatarded oiling system which prevents the use of roller lifters.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

FYI the newer intake from the 3500 will fit on the 3400 heads and give a little more flow. The only sad thing is that roller cams cannot be usesd in the 3.4 because GM saw it fit to put in a retatarded oiling system which prevents the use of roller lifters.
The lack of a roller cam isn't great news, but I believe the Camaro cams on the aftermarket are more aggressive than the FWDer cams anyway, so I believe it's a case of making lemonade from that lemon...

Old 12-10-2006, 01:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i was wondering which exhaust would sound best for my car. i have a 3.4 V6. i was looking at a flomaster series 80 which seems to be the standard dual muffler. i dont want my car to be ridiculously loud. any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2006, 07:21 PM
2nd Gear member

In regards to exhaust for a 3.4 go with a magnaflow catback. it has a mellow tone to it and doesn't attempt to sound like a v8. It's smooth but sounds vicious when doing highway speeds.
For air intake I would go with a moroso CAI, K&N are over priced.I got quoted 200-250 bucks for the 3400 intake and heads so thats about 35-40 more horsepower. Comp cams makes a mild cam for the 3.4 for like 209.00 just call summit racing 24-7 1-800-230-0330 headers are about 239 for pacesetter, a performance chip=189.00, if its auto you could put a shift kit in it for about 100 bucks or so....

my only question to everyone that says it wasnt meant for a 3.8.what about the 95-97 camaros the 3.8 why wouldnt that work????

Quick Reply: 3.4L Engine Swap?