93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

2002 3.8 Camaro Rough Idle and Sputtering under load

Search this Thread

Old Today | 04:37 PM
|
Default 2002 3.8 Camaro Rough Idle and Sputtering under load

I have a 2002 3.8 Camaro that is my everyday driver. Two weeks ago, I was leaving a red light and noticed my car sputter almost like it picked up some trash in the fuel. I got to the next light and took off fine but once it shifted into 2nd gear it started again. By the time I got home it could barely get out of its own way and the service engine soon light would flash while it was acting up. The next day I picked up a fuel filter thinking maybe mine just needed to be changed. When we changed it a black fuel mix came out of the line from motor not from tank. Couldn't even burn the black stuff off of the concrete. I went ahead and opened my fuel tank to make sure the fuel was okay, and it was clear and perfect. I still went ahead and changed my fuel pump just in case. Car got a little better but still was sputtering and had the random service engine soon flash but would quit when it would start driving right. I went to check to my air filter next and found that it hadn't been put back in after my last oil change, so I automatically thought that maybe MAF sensor was just dirty and was the culprit behind all of this. Pulled sensor and cleaned it although wasn't dirty at all. Cleaned throttle body while I was there too just in case trash got to it. Also noticed I my downstream 02 sensor wire was damaged, so I unplugged it to see if there was a difference. Car started great and drove great for about 30 mins and started back doing the same thing. I got frustrated and just parked it. I went out the next day and started it back up and drove it again and it drove like it was brand new but after about 20 mins it started back, and the service engine soon light would start flashing again but would quit when you let off of gas. Yesterday I started it, and it now starts with a rough idle and flashing service engine soon light so I'm at a loss. What should I be checking next? Also, when I had codes read all it had was my bank 1 sensor 2 code, the one i have unplugged. So, no help with codes at this moment.