93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

1996 3.4l engine light, sputtering/backfire on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Default 1995 3.4l engine light, sputtering/backfire on acceleration

Hi all!
Bought this car last February. Since early last summer, the check engine light will come on about 15 minutes into my commute to or from work. If I accelerate to pass or something, it'll sputter and backfire.
I replaced the plugs, wires(twice), pcv and O2 sensors. Still does it.
I have noticed that as the weather gets cooler it takes longer for the check engine light to come on making me believe it might be temperature related.

I have taken it to both Autozone and Advanced to see if they could read the codes. Autozone wasn't sure but thought it was a cylinder misfire. Advance got an error trying to connect to the computer. This OBD 1/1.5/2 crap is confusing. Nobody can tell me for certain which I have. It's got a II connector. I don't want to pay NAPA $78 just to tell me what the codes are.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Tech Droid

Your car is OBDII all the way, so it should be no problem to get it scanned.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:28 PM

Arg! Thanks Pete. Just looked and I put the wrong year in the headline. Fixed now. Four cars in the family pool is frying my brain. The Camaro is a 95. My Miata whose engine I'm swapping is a 96. My GMC truck is a 77 and my wifes Odyssey is an 03. I'm a member of a forum for each one of them. I"m not a mechanic by trade or hobby, just by necessity. My brain is in overload at the moment. sorry for the confusion.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
2nd Gear member

95s (at least early ones) are the bastard child. It seems that they got the OBD II connector but an OBD I control system. I guess that makes sense since the 3.4 control system was a carryover from 93 and 94; GM was not going to revamp that to be OBD II for half a model year. Plus the "new" 3800 was OBD II so the dash harness was going to use the OBD II connector.
Bottom line is that OBD I will not give misfire info while OBD II will. Misfire info would be very useful to you now.
Anyway, I'd say that you use a scan tool that has an OBD II connector but OBD I software. My OTC Monitor 4000E can do that. Typically you power up the scan tool and the display *tells* you which cable to use.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM

A monitor tool would be handy right now. Even the older ones are still kinda pricey on ebay. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and pony up for NAPA to diagnose.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM

Could an electrical problem, such as an improper ground, cause this? I've just recalled that it has also blown a taillight, a horn fuse and a friend says the stereo may not be properly grounded.

Otherwise, maybe some seafoam to clear out the injectors? Never done it, but I hear it can help.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The temp sensor tell how much fuel to be pushed to the motor. When the car is cold it pushes more fuel in order to run efficiently. The motor needs less fuel when warm. That sensor may be bad...

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 AM

Ooooh! Thanks Chaotic! That would make sense. Now to find it, buy one and replace it.
BTW your 94 looks great there! After I get my Miata back on its feet, I want to start resto on the camaro. It's supposed to be my daughters but I confiscated it when I blew my engine. Pop's privilege

Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^Haha nice!

EDIT: Well there is more than one temp sensor for this car. There is a temp sensor for your temp gauge. There is a temp sensor that measures the temp of your coolant. And the last one is the sensor that measures the temp of the motor and tells the computer how much fuel to be used. You need the last one. If you go to Autozone or Oreilly's and tell them which one you need, they'll know what you're talking about.

Last edited by Chaotic94; 10-07-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Check the fuel injectors and do a PSI test for fuel. Check for a plugged cat. Check for a bad EGR too.

Thr 95 3.4L has OBDI not OBDII. Only the 3800's had OBDII

Quick Reply: 1996 3.4l engine light, sputtering/backfire on acceleration