93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

02 camaro 3.8 v6 sputtering. Cylinder 5 misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Default 02 camaro 3.8 v6 sputtering. Cylinder 5 misfiring

Hey guys, I've always been a roamer around here but I now have a problem of my own. My car only has 58,000 miles on it and has started sputtering. It seems to be the worst when I take off at a stoplight or go in reverse or something, but I can still tell it misfires during the idle. I replaced all the spark plugs as soon as it started and that didn't fix the problem. So I went to Autozone and had it scanned, the same code came back twice which said a misfire in cylinder 5. So then I proceeded to change the spark plug wiring on cylinder 5 with a brand new one. That didn't fix it. We scanned it again and the same code came back but only once this time. So I bought another new spark plug....still didn't fix it. So now I'm baffled and not sure what to do, I've heard once one spark plug wire goes they all will go and to replace them all at once so that's probably what I will try tomorrow. Has anyone else heard of this, experienced the same problem, or just have any advice they can give me?? I appreciate it very much. Again, it's a 3.8L V6 with only 58,000 miles, I'm worried my baby is broke bad or something!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 PM

i've got another thread going on here called At Wits End where i'm having the same problem. Except mine is misfiring on #6 and keeps on fouling out plugs just on that cylinder. Put it in the shop this morning and after 3 scans all showing misfire on #6 the mechanic says it could be a plug wire burned into somewhere, fuel injector, or the computer going out. YAY for me! NOT! So he's gonna start with the cheapet fix tomorrow morning, checking the wires....gawd i hope it ain't no injector or the computer!!!!!

Good luck to ya, keep us informed.....

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Thumbs up Problem solved

Well my misfiring issue was resolved this morning by installing a brand new coil pack. I guess the coil pack went out, not to mention 4 fouled plugs. But after replacing all spark plugs and my spark plug wires with still no fix, it came down to the coil pack. After a short, easy install, my engine is running better than when I bought it and my service engine light went off thank god! Well, that was my fix, I hope this helps someone else with their beloved v6 Camaro!!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:37 PM

congrats to you...

my issue still hasn't been figured out...it getting good fire from the coils, icm, and plugs and wires...put a new injector in today and still no fix....misfire on cyl 6 and its still drowning out the plug with gas...you can take out the plug, clean it up and put it back in and start it and it runs for about 5 minutes before it fouls it again...

i'm so close to giving up..all the local mechanics can't even figure this one out! anyone else having or have had this problem?

please help!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by bowtie_chic4life
congrats to you...

my issue still hasn't been figured out...it getting good fire from the coils, icm, and plugs and wires...put a new injector in today and still no fix....misfire on cyl 6 and its still drowning out the plug with gas...you can take out the plug, clean it up and put it back in and start it and it runs for about 5 minutes before it fouls it again...

i'm so close to giving up..all the local mechanics can't even figure this one out! anyone else having or have had this problem?

please help!!!!!!
The PCM fires the injectors by placing a ground on the control wire to the injector. If the wire is shorted to ground it will hold the injector open allowing excessive fuel into the cylinder. Each injector has 2 wires. The pink wire has constant battery when the key is turned on, the other wire, black with color stripe, (each cylinder has a different color stripe) goes to the PCM. Make sure the control wire does not have a steady ground. You can use a NOID light to see if the PCM can pulse the injector.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Overdrive Member

What year is yours? Interesting, I have virtually the same problem on an 02 3.8L with just a few more miles than yours, except my first code a couple months ago was:
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1), now I also have:
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2), with a Pending code:
P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

The car now bogs when you goose it. Previously, I talked to a former GM failure analysis guy who said the problem could be a MAP sensor or vacuum leak, also to change the PCV Valve with the dealer item since aftermarket ones have some issues...

The stealership service shop says today that they tried a new coil pack and plugs and that made no difference, and that I need new wires, which I will do soon, and a fuel system cleaner and injector cleaner -- funny thing is I have been using Lucas Fuel System Cleaner fairly regularly since August 2008... Maybe I need to inject some cleaner at the shrader valve... All the dealership would do is inject the cleaner into the fuel lines, they don't take out the injectors for cleaning... After the above is done, then I can continue the troubleshooting.

I am leaning towards MSD wires, but what are the best plugs for the 3.8? Delco? NGK? Denso? Which version of any of these?

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 06-11-2009 at 12:08 AM.