Trans going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 AM
4th Gear Member
Default Trans going bad?

So since ive bought my car ive always had to put it into drive (and only drive, it doesnthappenin any other gear)wait for it to kindajolt forward and then drive. The motor mountswerent in the best shapeso i replaced them.. didnt fix the problem but the old mounts were bad anyway. So i checked the fluid level and and it was a bit low and so i justbrought it infor a fluild service because i had no record of any previous services. The guy who did the service told me the trans was leaking pretty bad (there isnt any fluid in my drive way) and said i could come back for a free top off whenever i want.Now when i put it into drive it doesntjolt at all. i have to give it some gas and then it hits harder than it did before. So my question is, does this sound like low atf possibly caused by a leak that only occurs while im driving or something or a bad transmission in general? Also when im going up hill the car wont hold steady speed ill have to give it more gas and then it shifts hard and jumps from about 3000 to 4000 hardand same withaccelerating onto the freeway it jumps from about 3000 rpms to 4000 then once i slow down it hits hard again and returns to about 3000 rpms.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Default RE: Trans going bad?

I'm no master of GM products by any means, but to me it sounds like something to do with the valve body or maybe the clutch packs. I don't think the tranny would jolt with a lack of fluid.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 PM
4th Gear Member

oh sorry, i just assumed most of you knew i have a 93 eclipse with anauto tranny. And it doesnt really jolt as much as it feels like its slipping... Like i said before i had to put it in drive, wait a second for it to kinda jump forward as if i had a bad mount and then i could drive. Now i have to give it gas before it jumps and moves. Mind you the tranny has 170+K on it.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Well, I'm new, remember? lol, and, what I said still applies. I would think the full ATF and refilling of it is only masking a deeper problem.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:18 AM
4th Gear Member

well the engine was replaced with arebuiltmotor with 60K in june of 08 by a shop (i have the paperwork so i know he wasnt bsing me)and it doesnt have a warranty but it was a fresh rebuild just a used block. However i suspect the timing is off, would that cause this sort of problem? But seriously.. it feels like the tranny is slipping, the tranny is leaking (but like i said doesnt leave puddles)ATF and it does have 170k on it lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 AM

No, it def. does not sound like a motor issue. I certainly think it's in the valve body or clutches.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It could be a line pressure issue, just needing an adjustment, or low pressure can also be caused by a leak, or a bad seal. Pressure is adjustable, but you need to drop the pan and remove the valve body to get to the adjuster screw. But if the slip is caused by a leak, then you need to have someone who knows what to look for to check it out.
The problem could also be the valve body, with a sticking valve, or a piece of crud stuck in a cavity.
Could also be the pressure control valve. Check to make sure there aren't any disconnected/cut/broken wires anywhere. Check any and all wires at the trans and trace them.
Does it slip if you put it in 1st too, or only in Drive?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:09 AM
4th Gear Member

Well Im not sure, ive never actually driven in 1st or 2nd but when im at a stop and i shift from drive to 2nd or 1st it doesnt skip, then when i put it back in drive i have to wait again.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Alrighty then. So get in the car, and instead of putting it in drive, put it all the way down to first and see if you still have the hesitation/slip.
Also, does it act the same with a cold first thing in the morning start, and on a hot re-start?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
4th Gear Member

No, when its cold its alot softer, still have to give it gas before it moves and it still jumps but very gently. Then when its hot its like brain rattling.

Quick Reply: Trans going bad?