Do I have to replace my clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Default Do I have to replace my clutch??

I just bought a 1995 Camaro, 3.4L, V6, LT1 with 113k. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new clutch and flywheel, but he also admitted to knowing very little about working on cars. The car won't shift into any gear, and grinds when I attempt to put it into reverse, and still doesn't engage. I was just wondering if there is anything else that could be causing these symptoms, before I put the money into buying and installing a new clutch and flywheel? Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated! Thanks, Suzie

Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: Do I have to replace my clutch??

Sounds more like as if the clutch won't release, or he transmission is totally shot. Make sure there is fluid in the clutch release system, that there are no fluid leaking fluid and the reservoir is full. There is also a good possibility that either the master or slave cylinder is defective. I think that the clutch and flywheel are OK, ant that they are just not being released.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:47 AM
1st Gear Member

A firend of mine put a new clutch in a V-6 car and didn't get the fork on the throw out bearing. so after replacing every thing in the hydralic system it stilll wouldn't go in to gear.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear member

an LT1 is a 350 v-8, your 3.4 is a v-6, they have 2 different transmissions just so ya know.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:55 AM

I'm thinking the fork may not be on the throwout bearing correctly, only because i remember my boyfriend saying something like that. But I am far from a mechanic, so I was hoping that someone can tell me exactly where to look for this, and how to tell if it is correct or not. I've been trying to find a diagram online, without any luck. Thanks for all your help. Suzie

Old 11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Can you shift into a gear with the car off?

Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM

I can shift into 1st and 2nd when it's off, but none of the other gears.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

You MIGHT have a bad trans. Since there is no torque differential, and the snychros aren't spinning, you should be able to pull the shifter into the gears.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:58 PM

How do I go about checking the clutch master and slave cylinder to see if one of them is defective. I believe the clutch is working properly. Another concern I'm having is that when the clutch is pushed in, the fork barely moves. (ok im a girl, but i'm sure you know what i'm talking about) I guess this is actually 2 questions, but if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it! thanks again.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

Well the fork is a lever. The place where the fulcrum point is allows the shorter part of the lever to move less than the other side. I think you might be on to something though. The slave cylinder would be leaking if it were bad. Pop the cap off of your master cylinder for your clutch and see if there is still fluid in there. It should be a 1/4 from the top.

Quick Reply: Do I have to replace my clutch??