Suspension Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Suspension Kit Advice

Hey guys, could use some quick advice if you have the time.

I am looking to upgrade my stock suspension (finally) as my DeCarbons have about 146k on them so the ride is what you'd call "fairly rough." Anyway, I am currently looking at going with this kit from Strano Performance Parts (Strano Performance Parts - Part Details) and was wondering if any of you have used this kit before.

As much as I would love to get Koni's, I just don't have that kind of money right now and I believe Bilsteins are my next best option. Also, I use this car mainly as a cruiser so would I have to worry about bottoming out a lot with this kit? I heard good things about Strano springs, but I'd rather not have to worry about every single bump in the road. I am, though, looking for a stiffer and more firm ride compared to my old, stock suspension.

Any advice and tips would be much appreciated! Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

My 98 is lowered 1.5" and I don't bottom out but have the common issues of steep driveway entrances and speed bumps. I don't know what shocks are in there it was lowered when I got the car.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thats a good setup. sam knows his stuff to so im sure he will give some good tips and want to know why your lowering, what tires, whats the motor and planned use.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds good, thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Is your Camaro a V6 or V8?

If you are getting lowering springs, then you do not want Bilsteins -- you want Koni Sport SAs -- WHY? Because the longevity of the Bilsteins will be shortened with lowering springs like Strano's. If you are set on lowering, I would wait and save up for the Konis.

If you can't swing the Konis, I would suggest just getting Bilsteins and Strano's hollow sways -- you will be happier in the long run I think. Ask Strano about my statement above, he will tell you too.

Get an STB too, cheap quick improvement you can do easily.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Is your Camaro a V6 or V8?

If you are getting lowering springs, then you do not want Bilsteins -- you want Koni Sport SAs -- WHY? Because the longevity of the Bilsteins will be shortened with lowering springs like Strano's. If you are set on lowering, I would wait and save up for the Konis.

If you can't swing the Konis, I would suggest just getting Bilsteins and Strano's hollow sways -- you will be happier in the long run I think. Ask Strano about my statement above, he will tell you too.

Get an STB too, cheap quick improvement you can do easily.
My camaro is a V8.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering about the longevity of the SLP Bilsteins with lowering springs. What are the hollow sways?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member

^ The SS 32mm front sway is hollow and SS 19mm rear is solid, but the best upgrade is the Strano 35/22 hollow sways -- makes a BIG difference:

Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-30-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Ah gotcha! Upgrading the sways are definitely in the near future, I just figured I would get to the shocks as they are showing their age with 146k on them.

How would you guys compare the SLP Bilstein shocks to KYB AGX adjustable shocks? Strano also offers this kit Strano Performance Parts - Part Details, but I was just thinking the Bilsteins would be better shocks. I am not completely dead set on lowering my ride, but I do really like the look. And on that same note, I don't want to get lowering springs if its gonna kill the lifespan of my new shocks... Hopefully that makes sense, haha.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 05-30-2013, 07:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you are going to order from strano give him a call. may as well get advice from the master. shock quality dictates ride quality on these cars, the bilstens are a good shock at a reasonable price that do go good on 4th gen. if your shocks are toast and it sounds like they are then do the shocks for sure, you wont be sorry. i would say do call sam and see what he says about what would work best for you. nice guy, to the point and will not try and take you for something you dont need.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Best 4th Gen shocks are
1. KW Variant (a coilover kit in front & $$$)
2. Koni Sport
3. Bilstein

Everything else is lower quality, according to Strano and others. In other words, don't get the KYBs - you will not be happy. Better to save up for the Konis if you need adjustables for lowering springs.

Phone Strano like Craby says, he's a bit of a character, but don't let his east coast mannerisms get to you -- he is a straight shooter with great experience and knowledge -- tell him your goals and what you have now, ask your questions, you'll get your suggestions from him, then order and install!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 05-30-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Kit Advice