new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default new suspension

Hey everyone I'm looking to buy all new suspension for my 96 Camaro and I have learned to like the Eibach lowering spring kit after hearing how easy an install the kit is but I was also drawn to like how much cheaper the Summit Racing lowering spring kit was and I'm just wondering what the difference was between the two springs and why Eibach's were so much more expensive. I alsowould like to knowif the shocks affect the height of the ride? because I'm torn between which shocks to buy I really like the Edelbrock Performer IAS Monotube shocks but they are really expensive (for the front ones) but my other choice is the SLP Performance Parts shocks which have the Bilstein shocks, right now I have 160,000mi on my car and I have all the factory suspension on it so I'm sure just about anything would make a huge difference in the ride but I just need some advice as to which springs and shocks to buy for the money

Old 08-25-2007, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: new suspension

I have not looked into Summit's springs but I can tell you that their prodocts are OK for the money. the problem with Summit is that they buy from cheaper vendors and just put their name on the parts. if you try to find out specs on a lot of their stuff, they can't tell you because they don't have them so it is kind of like a gamble, hence the cheaper price

Old 08-26-2007, 01:04 AM
2nd Gear member

ok... i'd go with the eibachs, i got some and i love them! they have the progressive rate and good lowering height. the shocks, if you're going for ride quality instead of more performance... the bilsteins are gonna be probably the best for you. i personally got kyb agx adj. struts up front and, they give the stiff ride, but great handling! But just to sum it up, go eibach pro kit, and some bilstiens, it might not hurt to get a poly bushing set sometime too with mileage you got, that will make it night and day!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 PM

CamaroKid,

I appreciate your answer to the question about new suspension. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'm wondering if you can tell me something more specific to MY needs. I have a 93 Z28 with all stock suspensionand I want performance and handling. I'm not worried about luxury riding... of coarse I don't want my Z to feel like a stage coach either. What would be the best for me to purchase to get what I want as far as shocks and springs go? My brother says that I should lower the car. I don't understand why I would want to. I just clear the curb cement things in the parking lot as it is now. Thanks so much foryour help! Tom

Old 09-03-2007, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear member

well, lowering your car lowers the center of gravity which makes you handle better. You have to watch where you drive, but it looks good and handles good lowered. Go with the eibach springsi say. The kyb agx adj. struts and shocks will give you amazing handling, with adjustiablity. also go with a poly bushing set and a set of new sway bars. I can't stress enough how muc i love the handling of my car, and i still have to put on new rear shocks and apoly bushing set. IT'S AMAZING! strut bar is optional, it does a little bit, but not a ton. A panhard bar is also optional, it will do alot, but it's not needed unless you're doing some hardcore racing. i hope i answered your question

Old 09-09-2007, 05:55 PM

CamaroKid,

I took your advice. I just finished installing the eibach lowering springs (1.3 inches) and the KYB adjustable shocks. THE CHICKEN IS DEAD! Okay, I don't suppose you understand that one but my car squeaked like a chicken when I drove it. Now it doesn't. Anyway, I figure that I will eventually get new sway bars but I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me something that I thought the new shocks and springs would have fixed. I hear a low rattling sound that seems to be coming fromt the back of the car when I hit bumps. I thougth it might be the springs or the shocks but since I changed them all, it can't be that. I replaced the bushings on the sway bars but not anywhere else yet. I have them, I just didn't change them yet. What could the rattling possibly be coming from?

Also, would you know how I can get rid of the extra play in my steering?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-09-2007, 10:28 PM
2nd Gear member

well, it could be just worn bushing somewhere possibly in the lower controls arms, or possibly your exhaust that has a bad bracket that the rubber has worn out. I'd go ahead and replace all the bushing, make sure they're greased and i would think that would cover all that, except the exhaust thing. That's what i got for ya, keep 'em coming if that doesnt do it.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

how's the car handle anyway, any better?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
2nd Gear member

what do you have the shocks and struts set on?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM

I drove my car to school today (I teach elementary school) and I definately noticed a difference today. Yesterday, I just drove the car around the block. I don't know what I was expecting. I have the front struts on #4 as well as the rear shocks on #4. The paperwork that came with the shocks weren't much help. I figured I would put them all in the middle number and see how it goes.
I will change all the bushings next weekend. I'm really happy I did the job. It seems to be well worth it. My next purchase is a set of sway bars.
Thanks so much for your help. I will let you know about the rattling sound. I'm sure it is coming from the right rear. I'm going to check it out now.
Tom

Quick Reply: new suspension