1993 Suspension setup...for over a year from now! :P

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 1993 Suspension setup...for over a year from now! :P

Alright guys, I'm here to continue planning my build, and I'm pretty sure the next step will be chassis/suspension.

Continuing with the theme of a true DD, I'm looking for a setup with the following:
1.) As close to stock ride height as possible. With my LT's, I need as much clearance as possible.
2.) A non-skeletal-shaking ride. If I hit a bumpy patch in the road, I don't want stuff falling off the car.
3.) The ability to effectively use first gear in DD situations. If I need to 'punch it' to around 3000 rpms, I don't wanna be lighting them up all the time. (I don't expect this setup to eliminate wheel spin, and, like stock, I know I won't be able to get through first gear with the pedal to the floor. Or even all of second for that matter.)
4.) I don't want to give up on the twisties. So basically what parts would you suggest to give me at least the same performance as I have now? Example: I can generally take turns at about twice the 'suggested speed' (50 on a turn that has a sign saying 25, etc., etc.). I'd like to keep this ability, or add a little to it if at all possible.

Remember guys, this a a true DD. I won't be heading to the drags, road courses, etc, etc, I just want to be able to effectively use my new-found abilities.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:29 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

wow...haha...

lower control arms and probably the relocation brackets. panhard bar...probably different sway bars...better springs and shocks...

what you should really do is contact sam strano...he's kind of the suspension guru for f-bodys...he will set you up for exactly what you want

Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM
3rd Gear Member

yea wat he said lol and a nice trans mount torque arm with a relocation bracket. to hook on the street you need the car to squat a bit more so u dont want it as stiff as at the strip. so all you do is DD the car or you want it to hook at the track the few times you go as well?

Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear member

I want it to hook on the street, and if I make it to the track more than the one already planned time for after the build is done, I'd be very surprised.

I guess a real short version of what I want is daily drivability, with increases in performance everywhere, but I'm not looking to have the best of everything. Since I know that's essentially impossible. :P

Sam Strano, I'll write that name down.

EDIT:
I know it might sound like I'm looking for everything, and I sort of am, but I'm willing to give up having the best of one thing to get above average of everything. You know what I mean? Like, It's gotta hook better and corner better, but it's not a purpose built race car for either of those venues.

Last edited by robmnrd; 04-02-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yea he'll probably recommend a set of Joni's and a nice spring set along wit their sway bars then the other things we mentioned. So u buildin a motor or just wat uv talked about?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
2nd Gear member

I've got a 'build thread' over in engine/internal, but since the build won't start until the beginning of the summer, I'm still in the planning stage.

It's gonna be a fairly mild build. Made for DDing, and putting a beat down on those pesky mustangs. :P

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

lol yea i know what you mean im workin on a mild DD build myself

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

right on. keep us informed here. im looking at the same thing too. got a short block coming to build over the long haul. or untill the one in the car craps out. in the mean time ill be doing the suspension.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
2nd Gear member

rob: Suuuuurrrree you are! 383 nitrous build as a daily driver, eh? Aren't you aiming for like, 650 rwhp on the bottle or something? haha

craby: Yep, this stuff's expensive, and doing it step-by-step is the way to go. Unless I win the lottery...then I'll have everything done a lot quicker. haha

Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 AM
3rd Gear Member

yea i am id like 700whp but im more about the track times 9.50s-9.80s will satisfy me but it will be my true daily driver.

for parts look for deals unless you want everything brand new. i got my 9" torque arm sway bar and panhard bar for 2575 it was a real good deal

Quick Reply: 1993 Suspension setup...for over a year from now! :P