Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 Projects (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/)
-   -   Undead '95 Camaro (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/undead-95-camaro-75059/)

Socom 08-06-2013 10:26 PM

If you have any questions I can probably answer them, just shoot me a PM. I sold the 3.4 that came out of it for like $1200 (granted it was pretty new and I had double that into it). Search through craigslist and see if you can find a wrecked f body, its a lot of work to swap everything over but it was definitely worth it, and the insurance company still thinks its a v6 :)

PaulOctane 08-07-2013 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Socom (Post 676784)
If you have any questions I can probably answer them, just shoot me a PM. I sold the 3.4 that came out of it for like $1200 (granted it was pretty new and I had double that into it). Search through craigslist and see if you can find a wrecked f body, its a lot of work to swap everything over but it was definitely worth it, and the insurance company still thinks its a v6 :)

Ok awesome, I'll definitely try to remember to message you questions, I know I'll end up with some.

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 676777)
Correct the wiring harness is different you also have to remember the Buick would have a different a accessories mountings. You would still need all the brackets off a 4th gen Camaro and the exhaust manifolds, throttle cables, egr system to go with the exhaust manifolds ect... That is why I said in the end its cheaper to buy a donor. I will be amazed if you can find a working Lt1 for $240. Heck most reman places will give you $200 just for a long block. Are you talking a U-pull it yard? Last I was at one there was 8 stripped carcasses in the 4th gen section.

I was really surprised at how few 4th gens they had at my local U-pull it yard. Found only 2 Camaros and there was supposed to be a Firebird out there, but I didn't see it. I know of a lot of other local U-pull yards, but I've never been to them. (On the other hand, the yard I went to today had more Buicks and Blazers then I could count, which is good because I needed parts from both of those cars)

Because I don't make an incredible amount of money at my job, I think I'm just going to rebuild the trans I have and find a working 3.4L for now. It would be really nice to have a V8, but I don't know when I'm going to find an acceptable donor car. I am really worried that both the CV joints (FWD 1996 Buick LeSabre) are about to go out on it, and the power steering leak has recently gotten really bad. Poor old car is on her last legs... There is a worker at the yard I went to today that's interested in buying my car though. He asked if I would consider trades and I told him about how I'm looking for a Z28 donor car or something, so maybe I can work out a deal with him to trade my Buick for a donor Z28 once I get this Camaro running on a 3.4L. Then I still have a daily driver, and I will have a Z28 to do an LT1 swap when I have some spare time! How does that sound for a plan?

Gorn 08-07-2013 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Socom (Post 676784)
its a lot of work to swap everything over but it was definitely worth it, and the insurance company still thinks its a v6 :)

Be careful with this, my dad was an insurance executive. I made the comment about swapping all the Z parts into a V6 body (my 84). He told me flat out the insurance company considers that fraud. If you get in a fender bender you are not going to have a problem BUT if you get into a real wreck and really hurt someone the insurance company can easily back out of the contract because of the fraud. You can claim you didn’t know but that has no effect on case. Not knowing something is never a good defense in legal matters. This has been done in the past and there is case history on the side of the insurance company. IF you are on your dad’s policy the person you hit could take everything you and your father own. Even his home owners insurance will not save him. Normally your home owners insurance covers you if you are sued but almost all of them have a clause about un-insured motorists.

My dad even told me he had a local agent tell a customer they did not need to tell the truth about a car. Those people got screwed because the agent put nothing in writing and they signed a paper with incorrect information on it. The company did fire the agent and dropped the insurance claim.

Socom 08-07-2013 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 676795)
Be careful with this, my dad was an insurance executive. I made the comment about swapping all the Z parts into a V6 body (my 84). He told me flat out the insurance company considers that fraud. If you get in a fender bender you are not going to have a problem BUT if you get into a real wreck and really hurt someone the insurance company can easily back out of the contract because of the fraud. You can claim you didn’t know but that has no effect on case. Not knowing something is never a good defense in legal matters. This has been done in the past and there is case history on the side of the insurance company. IF you are on your dad’s policy the person you hit could take everything you and your father own. Even his home owners insurance will not save him. Normally your home owners insurance covers you if you are sued but almost all of them have a clause about un-insured motorists.

My dad even told me he had a local agent tell a customer they did not need to tell the truth about a car. Those people got screwed because the agent put nothing in writing and they signed a paper with incorrect information on it. The company did fire the agent and dropped the insurance claim.

In my state I have my car tagged as historic so it doesn't require any inspections or emissions, I think I will tag it as a street rod so it can be legally "substantially" modified in 5 years when it is eligible. It only gets driven like 3 days a week anyway.

ellswortha101 08-10-2013 01:27 AM

I've actually gone through Socom's thread 3 times now haha. Last night I had already been reading through the other thread you linked to, but I gave up about halfway because of the author's attitude towards accepting help.
I didn't accept help on this forum? I think you'll find that once you realize how much work is involved in this project and you read my thread you will see I took ideas from many other members. I walked into my project partially knowledgeable but now I know these cars inside and out, many thanks to other members (MKcoconuts, socom, craby, gorn, camaro69). You have no idea how much this project is going to cost you. If you cannot identify a transmission and decide to skip over my thread because you think i didn't accept help, then you are the one not accepting help. I put a lot of time and effort into continuing documenting my progress on this site to provide resources for people like you. Use it.