Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

yeah theres no way that my bar would have cleared even the intake mani... let alone the alt. its not even close to that tall and doesnt arch towards the fire wall like that

Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Massey, that battery thing confuses me. The battery tested as 'good' but it was lower than it was suppose to be apparently. I didn't think there was an issue with the crank going in and the bearings being too big. If they are, then it's Pharro's fault because I left it up to them to get me the correct bearings. Almost everything that has to do with the starter has been replaced now. The starter itself, the battery cable, a new direct ground. Other than the battery itself, I don't have a clue what else it could be (praying it's not the mechanical issue). What happens is when she's hot, there's a slight hesitation. Before putting the new cables in, it would crank, hesistate, crank again, and then turn over. This only took like a second and a half, but the hesitation isn't normal. I thought it was fixed with the new cables and ground. But then yesterday (it was really hot out and I didn't drive far because I was going from work right to school. So it was only like a 5 minute drive) I drove to school, was there for 2 hours, then went to leave and she cranked, but struggled to turn over. I just don't get it. She wasn't technically hot with that one though.

DK- I kept getting mixed responses about that brace, everywhere online was saying it was v8 or v6 specific. But from what you're telling me, I'm glad I played it safe and went with the one from Summit that was specifically for my car.

Last edited by DarlingReject; 08-10-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you might try putting an insulator on the starter so it wont get so hot. it may be that its just getting to hot and needs a blanky.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/32000...oductId=761406

Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

D.R., for the sake of not having to go back 25 pages...did you put headers on your car? I can't see diddly in your last set of pics, but headers do radiate more heat to the starter.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Craby, that's a good idea for the insulator. It has the heat shield back on, but I dunno. I'll look into it if the battery doesn't work out. I'm probably going to get a new one sometime this week.

69, yes I have Pacesetter headers on, but they were installed in February. I didn't start having this starting problem until after the car was rebuilt. She started fine before, although gave a slight extra fraction of a second extra to turn over very rarely, which I assumed it was just the starter beginning to go.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

it was measured using one of the electronic testers, not the starter or a resistor pile. the starter is only supposed to draw 120 amps. it is only doing it after the engine is hot and then sits for about a half hour. Case picked up a new battery thats rated at 730 cca. the cca is measured at 0*, and the ca is measured at 32*, which is higher amperage number. if there is still an issue, then it must be the new starter. but based on how the odometer would reset with the starter, the battery is probably on its way out

Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

Darling thanks for putting my comment in your sig... I love it

Massey

Old 08-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Haha, I didn't know if you would mind me having who said that or not, so I just stuck with the quote.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear member

DarlingReject - Are you having any problems starting the car for the first time in the morning?

Back in the day, when I had my '64 Nova and shoved a 327 in it, it would crank great first thing in the morning, but struggle the rest of the day (unless I let it sit for 4-5 hours).
I first thought that it was a starter going out, because it would really labor to crank when warm, and it was a used starter to begin with. So I replaced it with one from Autozone with a lifetime warranty (I really can't remember if it was Autozone for certain, but it was one of the big chains). It got a little better, but was still struggling when warm.
So I replaced the battery cable and all grounds in the starting circuit. Not much difference, so I ended up replacing the battery. Again, the problem got a little better, but was still there. Put a heat shield around the starter - no change.

In frustration, I found my receipt for the starter and took it back and got another one (a guy at the weekly show and shine nudged me to do it). END OF PROBLEM! I just happened to get a weak starter to begin with.

Long story short, don't make the automatic assumption that you got a 100% starter when you brought it home from the store. Sometimes they are weak / bad out of the box, it is uncommon but does happen.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 AM
Prettiest Sixer Around
September 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It cranks perfectly fine in the morning. It cranks perfectly fine all day pretty much. Just every once and awhile after being warm it struggles. And after I've been at school for only 2 hours it struggles. It does it kind of randomly. So I have no idea. Case got me a heavy duty battery, so we're going to see if that makes any difference and if not, maybe look into the starter again.

Quick Reply: Sofie's Official Engine Rebuild Thread!