Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 Projects (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/)
-   -   L96 project. New clutch. (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/l96-project-new-clutch-81767/)

Neutron3535 09-27-2017 08:47 PM

L96 project. New clutch.

New to the forum. I bought a 2000 ss a couple months ago. It has a L96 with a healthy cam, ls3 heads, 42mm injectors and 4:10 gears running about 450whp on e85. I plan on forced induction probably turbo within 6 months. Trying to end up with 6-700whp. My stock clutch gave out yesterday (expected eventually). Was cruising on the high way when I went to down shift to 4th, it wouldn't go in so I tried to put it back in 6th gear, but it wouldn't go into any. Pumped the clutch once and all the pressure gave way. No extra noises. I drive it everyday and will continue to do so after the new clutch. Im told if the flywheel didn't break then I won't need a new one which helps a lot with price. I've seen stage 3 clutch kits ranging from $360to <$1000. Looking for recommendations on a clutch and a new rear end for when the turbo goes in. Thanks.

Gorn 09-28-2017 08:46 AM

Don't buy the cheap China clutch, the net is full of horror stories of them not making it a month. Sure you can fine some guys that had ok luck with them but it is rolling the dice. As for other clutches the are a lot of options. Anything from Hays, Ram, Mcleon or Centerforce will be a good product. Make sure your getting a clutch that will handle the torque you plan on making. If you are daily driving it look for a clutch with a composite material. Composite material can have a lot of holding power without making the clutch a works out for you. Pushing a Mcleon 3000 lb clutch after an hour and a half at the basketball court and being stuck in traffic for an hour is not fun. Ya, that is from personal experience. Just try to smoothly let the clutch out while you foot is shaking from exhaustion.

Not sure who gave you the advice about the fly wheel but it could be the most incorrect statement related to cars I have hear this year. First off Flywheel almost never break. Flywheel ALWAYS should be either replaced or resurfaced with every clutch replacement. You will instantly void the warranty on a clutch if you do not deal with the flywheel. The top .03" to .06" of the flywheel will be burnt and have surface cracks. The surface will also be glazed and out of flat. Many modern hydraulic clutches do not allow for resurfacing. There is no adjust to make up for the thinner flywheel. Re-manufactured flywheels will either have a shim to compensate or they are milled, spray welded and resurfaced back to original thickness. They only time I would reuse a flywheel is if the car just had a defective pressure plate in it for 1-2,000 miles and when I hit the flywheel for a few seconds with sand paper it looked like new.