Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:39 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks for the input i kinda knew that already guys, i need the buyer who works on his own car for this car a back yard mech would be great ,but you would be surprized at the interest i have got on on the car ,with computer issues with new ones siber attacks .alot of guys want a carbed car around ,,an my point with a nasty winter i wont drive it, the car has had 50 hits in winter alone 60 days i had it up

I have not responded but a few times ,the car has alot going for your right i may not put another dime in it .but it comes with extras,i know there will be those,saying whats the bottom price wich i will take less,when you got such a clean car helps too,can still eat off the engine helps alot no leaks an 99.9% rust free no rust. an the fact it has not seen rain since the new engine 3 years now,in your area they may be cheaper too i notice they are too from 2k cheaper ,now i can shop til drop from 01 ss an get it 7k with 69k,but i got 100 more hp an 150 tlbs out of the 406 on over a stock ss

This is why i have it high for low ballers too,but will see i wont go under 7k before i would keep it ,then just save for another one,right now we got guys with 150k asking 7k for there 02 ss within 200 miles ,so mine with just 7k on the engine looks more appealing to some,it takes the guy an i wrote in the add the car is not for everyone will see ,when spring breaks though thanks for the input ,i think the right guy gets 8k or a bit over would get me back into a stock ss,or a 05 -09 mustang gt with under 100k miles

whats nice is when you dont have to sell ,or are not in hurry to sell wich is my case dont need to sell it , though wich is what i look for when buying the guy who needs to sell that nice car ,in the nh craigs list ,an listed all info listed on the car. is very important to have 24 pictures all that sells a car ,right now in my area Newhamshire Cl camaro under 10k you can find it,there is not much there that looks as attractive as my 95,in your area they have alot more of these cars, hear supply is not alot ,so they sell like hot cakes at dealers around hear,i have thought often to drive to your to your state gorn to buy one.last year im missed a 2002 ss 69k for $5000.00 in south penn ,much cheaper ,an this is not your average 95 camaro either so states the add,500 miles ,this way or that way ,around hear its like the only one of its kind wich to me is the harder sell ,if it was 95 z28 still yes it would sell for less money alot less

there are deals but got to be right time right place hear ,so to go 100 miles or more to get the one i want is the norm ,demand is higher then supply ,but will keep you updated,i know the deals can be had ,its convinceing others this car is not just a plain 95 z28 anymore ,an there are guys that will want it for for nothing i know,but there is also say that 1 in 10 guy that knows what they are getting hear too,thats the guy i want to sell it to ,that will do all his own work too ,i sold the red one to guy that did his own work an it worked out ok for a 6 banger,i got what i had in it ,this one i know i wont get what i got in it but 2/3rds would be nice.

But yes it takes that special guy for this car ,an i know there are alot of those guys out there,most of my friend think i will get the 8k or more, i would take ,but will see i may change my mind an keep it ,who ever buys it will need to do minumal work to get i where they want it though,if i do it mights well keep it .parting it out not an option hear,i may sell it for less to the right guy though ,put few grand toward another car ,it s not that the car has not been a good one i just seem to be slowing down ,10 years now too with it just time for change i think,its even got the original floor matts clean

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-29-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406

I have thought often to drive to your to your state gorn to buy one.last year im missed a 2002 ss 69k for $5000.00 in south penn ,much cheaper ,
That would be a smoken' deal, you wouldn't get one for that around here even with 169K on it, not many around here either, that's why it took me 6 months to find mine and I was searching in a 500 mile radius.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:58 AM
4th Gear Member

yes that car the guy wanted 6k best offer then ,went down it was a middle of winter sale i knew i would not sell mine just let it bee seen in winter it was 450 miles round trip to south penn,i have my eyes on a2002 red grey striped le1 for around 9k mabey $8500.00 90k miles,i did see a black z28 from 2000 sell with 57k on it for $5000.00 right close to home in late fall .aslo a 2002 z28 with 38k for $8000.00

some of those 2000 cars had a piston slap,i also in the 5k area or less am looking at 2004 mustang with 79k with 4.6l wich has proved itself a great engine with headers an a few upgrades ,i see about 2 or 3 cars each year within 400 miles or less for that price ,it seems i just bought i 2017 jeep in the fall cash,an flipped a few cars last year too ,i may just save for the mustang,

got a cousin has the 2010 roush version the babey engine they call it 4.6 super charged all the goodies 8k miles he stole it from his bother for 20k,550 hp to the wheels 700+ to crank

will see though soon i am thinking early spring ,but right now just looking till i sell mine or wait till about may then will have some funds,may try to flip a few more cars this year ,dont make alot on that though,the right car one can though make 3 to 4 k ,but that the car i want to keep for the most part ,couse you dont run into them much,where i live they dont last long 4th gens go fast an the mustangs faster

rain today an 45.this weekend 50 wierd after the cold snap we had ,but now just 6 weeks till day light saveings on march 7th,when i sell a car i had a long time i like to have something lined up,so its nice to be able to buy then sell the 95 406 ,but will see

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM
4th Gear Member

well i broke down an got this 2002 z28 ,was a womens cars,all new brakes an capliers,needs rear shocks an basics maint that i do like tune up rad flush trans flush,but drove it home 100 miles was fun

providence Ri people are nuts ,but after you get out of the city ,much better people drive like normal,the car had not been there long ,got to get rid of the stock exhaust first ,? do these cars need a tune after doing like i am thinking about the loud mouth slp 1 set up ,headers for sure an the tune up rear shocks should be it for the first year,the car has no rip in drivers seat.the weather was perfect mostly dry roads for the ride,jeep sit outside til spring now,its even got the original floor mats in back like new still,steering wheel is tight,just needs to be gone through to make it feel like that new car again ,

monsoon bangs cd works 50 watts deal,no leaks also was why i bought it,90k miles $4200.00 ,i think in the years to come people will want these cars,though like said gorn,the new ones have taken over ,though most people that own the new ones are 2 weeks or 2 pay checks away from loseing there car ,this will be the new project car,i think 2k will put this car right where i want it for now,i think my zr1 wheels are going on this ,its got some nice tires though,oil just changed looked great just need to tlc that they all need at this point ,if i can get 50k miles out this car would be great

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-29-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM
4th Gear Member

though thinking about it now, port an polishing the heads is another thing ,so to do it right i have to do that first then the exhuast,to be around 400hp in these cars,i think i may just get the small things first an go from there ,though how much i have to spend will depend on how much i get for the 406,i think i will get the few 3 grand over what i paid on this,guys are into special interest cars

Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Nice looking car.
You don’t need a tune to do exhaust mods but you could get a few extra ponies from it. If that is all you are doing I would just to a mail order tune after the headers. Tuned by Frost is a well-liked one. SLP Lids can be found cheap and sound nice.

Have you opened it up yet? I like how the drive like a V6 when you drive mellow then over 4000 they scream. Mine has the SLP lid and the OBX exhaust and sounds pretty good over 4000 RPM.

You will have a noticeable drop in power if you run 89 octane or down fuel. No harm done if you are just highway cursing in cold weather and you want to run the cheap stuff. If that knock sensor picks up any noise it would pull 10 degs out of the timing and the car will fall flat on its face.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:59 PM
4th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Gorn;724400]Nice looking car.
thank you gorn ,in my heart i had to try the ls1 engine an stay with camaro so much one can do with the cars too ,you bet on the way out or Ri i let her rip pretty impressed with it stock ,your right they feel like the 6 until then ,? with the slp oval will that replace the big monster muffler in back,with this one will be staying ls all the way no engine swap unless its ls,i say that becouse like we talked about the 95 is special interest ,i guess will start another project thread on this car too,this car is the 315hp engine ,an that with headers an cat back count on 20hp feeling like 40hp,i think the kit i am looking at is like 400.00 a bit under ebay about a half a day me an my friend can do it,oh yes i remember like the lt1 93 octane for sure allways,i put $20.00 in it when we left was near impressed with gas mileage too, cost was like 15.00

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 01-29-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Already got rear springs an insolators an shocks ready for it.kyb moog ,the car was a 2 owner .,me the 3rd ,it had 5k miles when sold to one women ,who had it till now ,darn near a one owner,can feel those rear shocks will make a big difference may due the front ,but that tune up

???have a few questions i know i need plugs wires an what else for the tune up on these ls1 engines.

? next is does the the oval resonator replace the stock muffler in back with the slp 1 cat back,plans also pan hard bar trailing arms did that to the 95 ,then the front wants to be done too,i guess slow but sure i want to go through the whole car,gear oil change, trans flush rad flush or change the dex cool,i want to get this one feeling like new pretty much ,got something to work with

It has all new brakes calipers roters tires an those rims are brand new ,but going on my 95 ,will be keeping my zr1 wheels,need to weigh that as for $800.00 i can get new ones with the tires if i go with wheels then tires ,the wheel tire packs cost more ,cheaper to get them seperate,i may just wait

first thing is tune up then rear shocks an spings,then exhuast then wheels,so much i got to learn about the ls1 now thank you guys,when i start will make another thread soon 2002 z28 project picture of kit

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Great deal, you couldn't touch that car out here for less than $6000 and you'd be hard pressed to find one that clean with less than 100K miles for that. Don't waste any money on porting the stock LS1 heads, you want to go aftermarket or at least as I did a set of LS6 heads. You can find the 243 castings that are not true LS6 pretty cheap,they flow just as well just don't have the light weight valves used on the Z06 Vettes. With some looking you can turn up a set for about $400. I paid too much for mine ($800) but I needed them soon and they were the real deal from an '04 Z06 with just 40K miles on 'em. I made about 400rwhp with these stock heads (except for springs) and a cam and of course headers and a tune.
I don't live in a DEQ area so I went with an off road Y-pipe (no cats) and the car already had GMMG chambered exhaust out back.
My car is an SS so it came with the LS6 intake, you'll want to upgrade the LS1 intake to something better. Stock LS6 intakes can be had around $300-$400,I may be selling mine before long as I plan to get a FAST 92 at some point,they get pricey at $1100-$1400 with the throttle body but that's the next step for my car as far as bolt ons go, it's all that's left to make more power without going into the motor again or adding NOS or a turbo or something which I don't want to do.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks for the input Y2K yes the intake an heads i would be interested in ,my thought is why i may just go cat back first ,get the suspension ,i want to work from the bottom of the car up ,seems to be ,or the most important things first i got rear shocks springs insolators,i can tell the passengers side is burnt ann figure mights well do front shocks to ,

1 is tune up plugs wires pcv valve gas filter air filter

2 the shocks spings

3radiator flush or change the dex cool out transmission flush an filter

4 cat back system right away the rears shocks springs tune up the things that make sence ,then will see how the year goes,i may get my zr1 wheel of the 95 the 2002 has new tires an rims grey 16in ,,but one thing at a time i like to do the healthy things first ,should start the other thread,hope top make few grand on mine 95 to put in this one too,but yes heads an cam intake would come last along with headers,so i can save time on each job too,the cat back should be fine ,just hold off on headers for a bit

?? so the cats an can come of this car i would like to kinda get an idea of what i would take out an what stay until headers,i know the big monster muffler comes out for cat back system ,the slp kit seems to be a great budget choice for cat back loud an only $400.00,though by the time i get done i know 2 grand turns to 4 grand,i think 2 k first year wil get it ,at a great starting point for me wit the ls1

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 02-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Engine swap 1995 z28 350 to 406