3.4 to 4.3 TBI VORTEX

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Default 3.4 to 4.3 TBI VORTEX

Hi guys, i have a F-body 4th gen, with a L32 that seen its best days. I have a 2.83 on the back and just loved my Camaro. Such a shame, i just put my sunglasses on when i heard some strange noise from the engine. and yes the chain snaped and killed my L32. In Belgium i have to put a V6 in it, otherwise i would not be able to pass the tech inspection. I still hope that they don't notice the diffrence. So what did i do: An 4.3 vortex TBI from a c1500 and a TH350 . What i had to make. Engine monts from the TBI blok and custom metal plate, drive shaft had to be about 13 CM longer, and the electrics have to be adjusted but tbi is not that difficult. Also the alternator was a bit in the way, so i had to make a custom mount and measure a new belt with a string.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

I have a I pad in there working with the standart 1 Ohm Bose sound system, with 2 simcards, android 5.1

Old 04-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What year Camaro and what years Truck computer? Do you know someone that can reprogram a GM computer?

For the Camaro older is better. I assume the inspectors do not need to plug into your computer to inspect it? Here in the states the TH350 would be a dead giveaway that is was not an original drive line. They stopped putting them in cars in the late 70's. How are you handling the torque arm mount?

Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 AM

here are some more pics of my Mosquito. 108 mph on 2800 RPM

Old 04-29-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
What year Camaro and what years Truck computer? Do you know someone that can reprogram a GM computer?

For the Camaro older is better. I assume the inspectors do not need to plug into your computer to inspect it? Here in the states the TH350 would be a dead giveaway that is was not an original drive line. They stopped putting them in cars in the late 70's. How are you handling the torque arm mount?
Hi Gorn, our inspectors dont know Stuff about american cars here . Its an F BODY from 1994/5, with a GMT400 from 97 with 72000 miles. I think its the 150 kw version, correct me if i am wrong.
Eeproms are not difficult to programm just set the speed right when u upload it. Its a LIN network in the camaro, same for the C1500. Try WINOLS works great with TBI software

Last edited by HAPLOID; 04-29-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:24 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The 94 would be OBD1 the 98 would be OBD2. The truck computer should not have Eproms. Unless you system are different from the states versions. Eproms went away in 1993?
The PCM from the Camaro runs the gages and ties into ABS and Anti thief system. HP tune seems to be the best way to reprogram PCM.

Old 04-29-2017, 02:27 PM
Default Finaly it's been done 3.4 3.8 to 4.3 in a forth gen

Hi Gorn, Thanks for your help man, will try that HP tune for sure. But seems a bit strange. Where would GM store there Registers/ Maps i got a couple of pictures of my PCM. I used to think that the camaro was OBD 1.5 Lin principle, The new engine is for sure OBD 2.
Everybody is welcome to help with identifiing the components of this PCM. Does anybody know the kind identifiers? On one of the pictures there is a BAD BOY which really looks like a 27C256.

Does anybody know if this is the case. Anyway i will read it out this week. Keep you guys posted.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:43 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

94 and 95 are slightly different so some people call the 95 1.5. The 95 3800 is OBD2 with an OBD1 connector, which adds to the confusion. But even though the 95 3800 is OBD 2 GM changed it enough to make it different.

The old school cars used Proms. (Programmable Read Only Memory) These are chips that stored the instruction for running everything the factory though they might need to adjust. Back in the day we had to install new Proms all the time. Seems GM was always tweaking programs to fix one bug or another. Somewhere around 1989 GM start started putting in programmable memory in the Corvettes. Instead of installing a new Prom GM would have me hook up the GM CAM's system the we connected to GM via a modem and they reprogrammed it. It seems by 1994 GM had converted all it cars to Programmable PCMs. Think of it more like a cell phone, You can't pull a chip out and install another one.

With PCM's you are had a communication network and the PCM runs the gages. So your 98 PCM is going to be looking for the Body control module and a signal from the ASB system and the anti- theft system. When it connects to the Anti-Theft system it is going to verify the VIN number and check the key code. If they don't come back or come back wrong the system will assume the car is being stolen and turn off the fuel injection. While the old Proms only had information GM thought would need adjusted the PCM is almost unlimited on the parameters that can be changed. The down side is that there is no cheap software to do it.

V6 Camaros with blown motors are very cheap here in the states and 1996-1999 rusted out pickups are very cheap. I would think that if what you are trying is at all easy we would have a lot of these 350 Vortec Camaros running around. The most difficult thing about swapping engines in the 4th gen is the electrical system. At least with the 94 you won't have to rewire the windows. Since the 94 Car is pre-body control module.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:51 AM
4th Gear Member

Not to steer too far off topic, but it's Vortec not "Vortex". I'm sure they'd notice when they see a dizzy in the back instead of a coil pack.

Old 05-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Default I only hope

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Not to steer too far off topic, but it's Vortec not "Vortex". I'm sure they'd notice when they see a dizzy in the back instead of a coil pack.
hi MK Coconuts and Gore and eveybody who is reading about this strange, but only once officially made swap.

I really hope they do not notice. Thé dizzy is strangely enough onder thé front window so you Cant really see anything. But i still hope that they do not notice. Thé People in Belgium do not Know much about American engines and Cars. They Will probably just check if it's got a stock look and if it's got 6 cilinders. Thé car got a very strange A4 import cirtificate that Does not state any tech data, except thé tire size and that it's a 3.4 V6. Thé tires( 255/55/16) which are not even possible tot buy in the EU, and i am not joking, i had to get a special permission tot put other ones on. My Coopers where old and expired.

Quick update on thé build. Thé gearbox member is in and is looking good, i do not Know what's to do with thé axel arm. Thé trany got sprayed in blackjack so it looks original. I Will post some pictures friday. Anybody any ideas about thé axel arm that hooks up to thé original trany? How much play should it have?

To readout thé chip i orderd a universal PROGRAMMER so waiting for it to arrive so i can make a step nu step guide how to read out and program thé content.

Br
Hap

Last edited by HAPLOID; 05-01-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:10 PM
4th Gear Member

The torque arm (axle arm, as you'd call it) should have very little to no play with a good bushing. The problem you're going to run into with your swap is there is no spot to mount the arm on tail housing of the trans, as 82-02 F bodies were the only GM vehicles to mount them like so. You'll need to buy a relocation set up or transmission cross member for a TH350 that has the new mounting location on it.

Quick Reply: 3.4 to 4.3 TBI VORTEX