Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 Projects (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/)
-   -   2001 Camaro 3.8l 5speed True Dual Exhaust Ideas? (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-projects-109/2001-camaro-3-8l-5speed-true-dual-exhaust-ideas-82313/)

Robert Altman 03-08-2018 04:31 PM

2001 Camaro 3.8l 5speed True Dual Exhaust Ideas?

Hey everyone I was wanting to do a new exhaust set up on my car. I currently have a stock exhaust with just a flowmaster 44 series (single outlet) welded into the stock mufflers position. By all means it does not sound that bad at all, I only have a problem with the rasp which is why I am making this post. I know I will not be able to eliminate the rasp completely but I would like to go true duals. I wanted to get some recommendations from all you as what I should do. I am going for loud, but not if it is going to sound like a lawnmower with nos. Looking for a nice growl (or as close as I can get). Any recommendations?

Robert Altman 03-08-2018 04:36 PM

Another thing I should add is im not trying to spend a ton of money. I was thinking since I want to go true duals, why not just dump it before the rear tires. I do not mind removing the cat either (Do those o2 simulation sensor things work for cat removal? Is it worth removing the cat?). What type of pipe size should I use (Not planning on boosting the car, just a cam/heads in future)? I am not married to the idea of side exit, I am open to all ideas!

Gorn 03-08-2018 06:13 PM

You need to check to see what is legal in you area. In my area the exhaust must go past the passenger compartment. Since the camaro is a hatch back that means it must exit body perimeter.

Not sure what you are asking. If you know how to weld and have the equipment its a pretty simple job, If not you will need it done by a pro. It would be handy if you had it done at the place you get the car inspected (assuming you need inspection)

A set of headers will help with sound and make the DIY duals easier.

Check out your tube for sound bits. I had both flow master and magnaflow on my 3800. Flowmaster sounded better at low RPM but raspy over 2700 RPM. Magnaflow did not have the low end sound but it also was much less raspy.

Robert Altman 03-09-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn (Post 725217)
You need to check to see what is legal in you area. In my area the exhaust must go past the passenger compartment. Since the camaro is a hatch back that means it must exit body perimeter.

Not sure what you are asking. If you know how to weld and have the equipment its a pretty simple job, If not you will need it done by a pro. It would be handy if you had it done at the place you get the car inspected (assuming you need inspection)

A set of headers will help with sound and make the DIY duals easier.

Check out your tube for sound bits. I had both flow master and magnaflow on my 3800. Flowmaster sounded better at low RPM but raspy over 2700 RPM. Magnaflow did not have the low end sound but it also was much less raspy.

What I am asking for is a exhaust set up. For example, magnaflow high flow cats, borla muffler. I am trying to find a great sound and I would rather take personal opinions from anyone. I would hate myself if I made a exhaust system that sounds like trash.

95 camaro 406 03-13-2018 01:28 PM

Autozone has all you need for cheap thrush i had on my 99 was cat back dual under like 100.00,got he sound of a v8 at start only after that there all just a loud v6 ,but not queit the same as a v8 sound at all ,but loud .mine was on the car already ,looking back it was to loud for a 6 banger,but if you like it that way ,cheap way to make it louder cat back ,

95camarogirl 03-01-2019 08:19 AM

I put dual flow master on my 3.4 and It sounds great. No Honda noise

Viperlohr 03-01-2019 03:01 PM

Hey, on my 3.8 I put Cat Back Flowmaster with a resonator box. I have been driving the car for several years now. When I was talking to my neighbor last summer he said he never knew it wasn't a v8 by the sound. I do have SLP intake too. I also put in a ZZP Comp Cam last summer. People ask me why??? Well I now have a 300 plus V6 that still gets over 25 mile per gallon and runs 14s in quarter mile. Not too many 5.0 car owners can say that.

craby 03-01-2019 08:56 PM

you will have clearance issues with anything that does not run back through the driveshaft tunnel. these cars do not have a lot of clearance stock, sounds like viper has some good advice for you. I have mid length headers on my 2000 3.8 series 3 and what I think is a stock ls1 4th gen exhaust, its 3 inch to the muffler, it came with the car. sounds ok with the cat that looks to be for the ls1 and fit pretty good up to the crossover pipe I got with the headers. I have a cat back that's from the same place as the headers for the v6, its 2.5 inch, also picked up a defuser to minimize the rasp that's actually not to bad with the current setup.

95 camaro 406 03-02-2019 12:24 PM

Thats a nice looking car i had 99 with the Appearence pack people loved it red, I had a guy say that about my v6 too had noicey lifter an got rid of it but had it down to no noise after some marvel oil after having an 8 then driving a 6 I was driving home one day trying to stay ahead of mustang new 5.0 I did so but then the noice started ,honestly a lot of guys just don't know the difference between a loud muffler 4cycle 6 an 8 ,but for guys like myself that have had 4 of these cars I know the difference,i have an ls1 even so ,there so quiet stock there too quiet , the stock noice of an ls1 can be heard over the so quiet exhaust ,there is a reason why most people choose cat back,an or true duals for a v8 car ,but I found for the v6 is just spending money like I found with my 1995 406 not wining any races but got true duals ,but sharp cars with the ground effects ,thay have a fast look ,also the car being so low you need a low profile jack or should have one ,

my 2002 will only see basic upgrades body braces shocks other then cat back an possible headers heads, staying stock for now ,its so easy to put to much money in these cars even my 95 406 so loud when I start it ,some people just don't know cars ,some of the newer higher powered v6 cars making 300 + Hp are harder to tell the difference ,but yes even the ls1 ,what they say at my local cruise night is nice engines but not built to handle the power of the engine wich is why we end up having to upgrade the suspension on them