new gauges faces on 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Default new gauges faces on 4th gen

I just got new gauges faces for my 1998 Camaro and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on the installation, as they came with no directions.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: new gauges faces on 4th gen

This is gonna be long but here it is........................
Installation instructions: White Gauge Face overlays.
This procedure has been developed for installing gauge overlays for the 1993-96 Camaro. I am sure that the procedure is very similar for the later cars. It is not very difficult to perform this mod, as long as you take your time and work carefully. It should take approximately 2-3 hours from start to finish. Please read through this procedure carefully before you begin.
VERY IMPORTANT: MAKE VERY ACCURATE DRAWINGS/NOTES about the placement of the gauge needles. You will thank yourself later (guess how I know this). Do this with both the car running, and engine off (key out). Note the normal operating range of your car (temp, oil pressure, and so forth). The needles will move slightly when you turn the key on (engine not running), so keep that in mind. Also, I recommend filling your gas tank prior to installing the gauge faces. Let the car cool to room temperature before starting.
Tools you will need:
Flat blade screwdriver
7/32” ¼” drive socket with wrench and 3” extension
9/32” nut driver
9/32” ¼” drive socket
Small Phillips screwdriver
Knife
Cordless drill is handy, but not required Step 1) Disable your air bags. Consult your service manual for complete instructions.
NOTE: When I did my install did not disable the airbags. I do not assume ANY
liability if yours accidentally deploy. It is your choice and responsibility to use good
judgment while working on your car.
Step 2) Remove the panel underneath the steering column using the Phillips screwdriver, and the
9/32”nut-driver. There are 2 Phillips head screws, and 2-9/32” screws. Disconnect the defroster
switch wiring harness, and set this panel aside.
Step 3) Open the glove box, and remove the 3- 9/32” screws attaching the radio trim cover. Also remove the
2-9/32” screws near the steering column for the other side of this cover. Remove it and set aside.
Step 4) Remove the 3-9/32” screws attaching the bottom part of the gauge pod cover. One of these screws
is located next to the fuse cover panel, right by the A/C vent.
Step 5) Using your flat blade screwdriver; GENTLY slide it under the dash pad where the gauge pod meets
the dash, and pry open the pop clips that secure it. You do not have to completely remove this pad,
just loosen it enough that you can get your hand and a wrench underneath it. This should be no
problem, as I have really big hands and was able to do this without breaking anything.
[color="#000000"]Step 6) CAREFULLY reach under the dash pad, and lo

Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ive thought about getting them but after reading this.it seems like way 2 much of a job.lol

Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have change my guage face. Its not hard at al just takes some time!!
The only hard stuf is to get the glu of when you removed the old one.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear member

nike, i love your car man. But i put them in my car, it just takes a few hours, and be careful not to break the dash pad, pain in the *** and expensive!

Old 08-12-2007, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I thought about doing that but decided on putting AutoMeter Pillar Guages in instead, red back lighted. I really like them. Left the othe guages functional too. But I guess red would look good on the dash guages too. Good directions for doing it though, thanks.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

thx camarokid!!
I have done more to my car than anyone might think
I have spent over $15000 on it. Inkl a new paintjob

Skyrunner so you are gonna keep stock dash but you want a different color in the lighting?
Well sock dash in white so just change the color of the bulbs...
My white face has a light blue glow.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I definitely want to keep the stock dash. Changing the bulbs does make more sense.I think I would have trouble getting used to white faces anyway.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I can take a pic of my interior the day efter tomorrow.
It look sooo much better with white guages i think.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I liked to see it. Let us know when you get some pics

Quick Reply: new gauges faces on 4th gen