Floor Mats Bunching under Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Default Floor Mats Bunching under Pedals

Ok, I have a third gen as well as my new to me fourth gen,, and I'm finding the same problem that I always had with the third gen and the floor mats in that they slowly slide forward until they start bunching up under the pedals. Is there a recommended fix other than GM's which is the remove the floor mats which results in wearing a hole in the carpet on the drivers side under the pedals? For now I just put up with it and pull them back every so often just like I did in my third gen (and will again when I finish restoring it).

I'm finding several little things as I find the little differences between the fourth gens and the third gens, as I'm pretty familiar with the third gens, but just starting to learn the fourth, and there are just enough minor differences to be slightly annoying

Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You're not experiencing anything unique. Every car I've had with free floating floor mats would ride up like that, even ones with good nibs on back. That's why cars now have a hook mounted to the floor with a hole in the mat. I spose if it bothers you that much, you could fasten the mat to the floor using stainless steel washered interior trim screws.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM

The problem is that I don't much like drilling holes, especially in the floor for something like that. I was just wondering if anyone had come up with some sort of standard fix for the issue in the last 6 years or so I was active in the community, as the last time I was active in the community we still had a large amount of the activity still on usenet. I know we hadn't come up with anything that the community as a group had agreed was workable at that point. I was sort of thinking something with a tether system under the front mounting bolts of the seat that comes forward and hooks to the mat. I just figured I'd ask before I worked on rolling my own.

In some other communities I'm involved in I try to work to contribute by sharing any simple (or sometimes not so simple) mods that others might be interested in that I discover. But why reinvent the wheel if someone already did it.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cywelchjr
But why reinvent the wheel if someone already did it.
Because my wheel is better than that wheel.

But seriously, I have the same problem. I've sorta just grown used to it. The back seats are worse, IMO. Every time some one gets out, I find the mat under the seat and I remind them that if the mat isn't there..pull it out, I just put new carpet in damn it.

Maybe get some of that double side velcro stuff and stick one on the back of the mat and one on the carpet. Now that I think about it, that isn't a half bad idea.

Old 03-31-2012, 06:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never had issues with the mats in my fourth gen but if I did I would buy heavier mats, probably those thick rubber ones.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I bought lloyd mats to replace my old floor mats, as they had holes in them, and I was afraid I was going to start wearing into the carpet lol

The lloyd mats replacements came with hooks, and spots to hook like camaro 69 stated. The only issue, is that it requires you to drill a hole. Being reluctant to do that, I am now living with the mats riding up underneath the pedals. Its annoying, but livable, and definitely not worth drilling a hole in the carpet.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You could also attach bungy cords to the mats, run the cords under the seat, and wrap them around the ankles of your back seat passenger. lol

Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
In the Staging Lanes

roflcopters

Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You could also attach bungy cords to the mats, run the cords under the seat, and wrap them around the ankles of your back seat passenger. lol
I'm never riding in the back seat of you car...ever.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a simple solution to this. Just take them out and have plenty of cleaning stuff for your carpet. I have no floor mats in my camaros and their just fine.

Quick Reply: Floor Mats Bunching under Pedals