Yet another problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Yet another problem.

Well it only lasted around a week before my car started having another problem. I had the opti spark replaced 2 weeks ago and the car ran perfect for around a week.

Anyway last friday i noticed my low coolant light come on so i put fluid in the reservoir. The light stayed on and i drove it to the store around 7 miles. I went in and came back out and noticed coolant on the ground. I couldn't see it leaking and drove it home. The temp stayed normal so i just figured the sensor went bad and i over filled it. It has been running fine and the temp has been good since.

Well today i drove home from school. After doing 3 hard 1st and 2nd gear pulls to 60mph. i shut the car off for about 5 minutes then drove around 2 miles to pick up my lil sister and left the car running for about 10 mins waiting for her, I then noticed that there was a pool of coolant under the car. The temp gauge started getting a bit over 3/4 the way to red line. i started driving and it went down to just over half.

I let the car sit for around an hour and checked the coolant in the reservoir and it was empty/really low. The bottom of the dip stick felt a bit wet still. So I looked in the radiator cap and i couldnt see coolant there either.

My question is where should i check? I havnt been able to see it leaking so im not sure where to start. I havnt seen in spots in my drive way so im kinda stumped.

The car is a 94 camaro z/28 m6 with 138000.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Check you your local parts stores of a "loan a tool" program, Borrow a coolant pressure tester. Get the car jacked up so you can get under it. Get some good lights.

Check out youtube for how to pressure test a coolant system.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the low coolant sensor is in the radiator not the reservoir so you will want to check the coolant level in the radiator when the low coolant light is on, wait for the engine to cool and take the radiator cap off and fill.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:00 PM
2nd Gear member

Where approximately is the coolant pooling? Is it under the front right side of the car? Look under the battery. Theres a line under there that may have worn through from acid and such...or vibration etc. See if its wet under there.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I found out that this is where it is leaking out of. Does anyone know what this hose is. I can't find it in ny haynes book. Is it hard to replace?

Attached Thumbnails Yet another problem.-0530141507.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by mp734
I found out that this is where it is leaking out of. Does anyone know what this hose is. I can't find it in ny haynes book. Is it hard to replace?

Its a heater hose and youre the only one who can determine if its a difficult job or not. Base it on your personal skill level and tool assortment. Get a buddy to help maybe if youre not comfortable doing it. Dont drive it if its leaking on your new opti! And if you do the job, be sure not to let coolant drown the opti.

Last edited by 2Z's; 05-30-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is it leaking from the hose or the bleeder valve? where exactly is it coming from?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:57 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

also the heater hose is not available so you would need to replace with generic heater hose. theres a post on here somewhere that explains how to remove hose from bleeder part.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks craby because that was my next question. It is leaking out of the hose. I put a zip tie on it. That stopped the leak. I just tightened it enough to stop the leak.

I went to oriely's auto parts and the guy in there made me seem dumb and convinced me that was a air conditioner hose. I went down to auto zone and he told me i was right it is the heater hose assembly but it is a dealer part.

Do you have link to the post? Can i buy it at a dealer?

Old 05-31-2014, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

i just talked to advance auto and the lady on the phone told me i dont need to buy the whole assembly. Also said she can get me the hose. So i ordered it and should be here tomorrow hopefully it is the right one. Does anyone have a picture of the hose so i can verify it is the right one im getting?

Quick Reply: Yet another problem.