Found 2" of water in the rear hatch area today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Found 2" of water in the rear hatch area today.

I was getting my tool box out of the car today, and was surprised to see 2 inches of water in the rear hatch cargo area. I looked all along the seal, and the glass if fine. We have had a lot of rain recently but there is no evidence of this water coming in. The carpet higher up is dry. I vacuumed the water out, and on the way home I could hear more sloshing around under the carpet! Thanks for the help guys. Is this common? Car is a 95.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The first time it rained after a bought my 94 z28 i noticed the next day i had water in my trunk. i looked all over for holes and leaks never found any. i even went out there when it was raining to lok but still nothing. i havnt had the problem since then. im curious on what it could of been. if u find the problem please share the solution.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check under carpet for any holes in the cargo area

Last edited by craby; 09-29-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: now that didnt make sense
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Get inside the back of the car and have someone outside make it rain with a garden hose. Then watch for where it's getting in.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Don't get fixated on water coming in from the top. water often comes from the bottom. A wiring grommet or body drain plug can push water in while moving.

We had a 280z at the body shop and couldn't figure out where the water in the floor pan was coming from. Turned out to be a plug under the driver's seat.

remember car structure can carry water a long way. Water from the door seals can find a way to the rear of the car too.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Don't get fixated on water coming in from the top. water often comes from the bottom. A wiring grommet or body drain plug can push water in while moving.

We had a 280z at the body shop and couldn't figure out where the water in the floor pan was coming from. Turned out to be a plug under the driver's seat.

remember car structure can carry water a long way. Water from the door seals can find a way to the rear of the car too.
The water accumulates even when the car is parked, and there has been a heavy rain.
So I've been watching the area, and true to Floridas reputation as the sunshine state, we haven't had much rain. I live in a Condo and it isn't that easy to get to a hose, soooo, I did hop in one evening during a heavy rain and couldn't see where the water is coming in. I did however discover the water is building up in the spare tire compartment. There was so much there that it was sloshing over into the t-top holder/trunk whatever compartment. Anyway, vacuumed it out, and even after a heavy rain there is just a bit there, but no evidence of where it's coming in. Carpet up the sides is dry etc. I'll keep checking it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

maybe check and reseal the antenna mount. check your channels along the body side of the hatch seal.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did check the antenna mount from up top, and didn't see anything obvious. I'll probably have to get to a hose and sit back there and stare lol. I'll keep checking.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM
In the Staging Lanes

is it a power antenna? They have a drain tube on them. Maybe it's pointed in the wrong direction.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:03 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Tipsy
is it a power antenna? They have a drain tube on them. Maybe it's pointed in the wrong direction.
I don't think power antennas were an option on the 95 coupe. Or on any Camaro F-body. Maybe on the Z's or the SS? I looked all around the antenna, and at least from up top it looks great and can't see how the water would get through there.

Quick Reply: Found 2" of water in the rear hatch area today.